We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how much from marrakech airport to jemaa el fna

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
london
how much from marrakech airport to jemaa el fna

Hello everyone,

Got my riad to book a pickup and they charge me €15 one way (around dirhams 160). He stressed that it includes standing at airport with a sign for us, helping with luggage etc. But isn't €15 quite a lot for 2 persons with only 1 small bag? From the forum, I feel that even the taxi touts outside the airport is charging less, around 100-150?

So my question is: How much for a taxi from outside the airport to jemaa el fna (our riad is literally 2-3 mins walk from the jemaa el fna)

Also, can I take the bus that everyone mentioned on the forum since it stops at jemaa el fna?

Any help on this will be greatly appreciated!

50 replies to this topic
Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
reviews: 6
1. Re: how much from marrakech airport to jemaa el fna

the bus is the cheapest option. a small taxi could cost 50 dh if you haggle it. a grand taxi is 100 dh .if youre sure to find your riad without paying someone then go for the bus.if you are not the adventurous type take the riad offer

Edited: 6:18 pm, April 21, 2012
Marrakech, Morocco
reviews: 17
2. Re: how much from marrakech airport to jemaa el fna

150 dirhams is the standard fare when organising a transfer through your Riad and yes, sometimes the drivers have to wait a long time at the airport. It is worth doing as you will be taken door to door with no hassle. But if your main priority is saving a few dirhams, take the bus. And good luck!

london
3. Re: how much from marrakech airport to jemaa el fna

Thank you all! I think we'll take the bus or a small taxi. We're the adventurous sort so i think it's okay.

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 60
4. Re: how much from marrakech airport to jemaa el fna

Hi val w,

You may be the adventurous sort but you are also likely to be the sort who writes a report after your stay saying you wished you had taken the Riads advice and booked their transfer. Read the many reports from previous posters who tried to find their riads by themselves and you'll find lots of warnings about the taxi driver having no idea where your Riad is and the guys with luggage chariots hassling you right up to the door and arguing about the price for their help.

Is it really worth spoiling your first impression of Marrakech to save a few pounds?

East Gwillimbury...
reviews: 74
5. Re: how much from marrakech airport to jemaa el fna

I'd pay the 15EU for the pre-arranged riad transfer. Like Shimmin said, why bother with unnecessary stress and hassle right at the start of your Marrakech experience? If your riad is right in the medina (somewhere): Pay the extra few dirhams for the comfort and confidence that you will be walked right up to the riad's door your 1st time. It's worth it. You'll understand when you get there. cheers

Cardiff, United...
reviews: 30
6. Re: how much from marrakech airport to jemaa el fna

I have been to Marrakech a few times, I have tried the airport bus, a small taxi and a private driver.

If you are going to a riad in the medina then just take the private driver, the bus will cost around £5 (for 2 people), taxi £8 (at the very cheapest, after haggling), private driver £12. Your riad has given you a good price.

If you get lost in the medina, you will have to pay someone to show you the riad, this could end up costing you anything from £5 to £20.

I have personally seen many people wandering around the medina looking for their riads, the worst was an Austrailian couple, they were arguing and the woman starting crying, they had been walking around in circles for over 20 minutes. What seems a good idea to save a couple of pounds often turns into a disasterous start to your holiday.

When you catch the airport bus or taxi, they will only drop you off on the main road to Jemma el Fna square, if your riad is just off the square then you may find it, if it is a 3 or 4 minute walk away from the square then you may well end up going around in circles.........before paying someone to show you the way.

When you look at a map of the medina, it looks very simple and straight forward, when you are there it is a totally different story..... good luck in whichever option you decide on.

Edited: 7:22 am, April 22, 2012
London
reviews: 41
7. Re: how much from marrakech airport to jemaa el fna

Completely agree with the last few posts - I think the price you have been quoted by the riad is a good one. If you are still going to be 'adventurous' then make sure you get some small change at the airport, otherwise that will be your next problem when it comes to having to pay people to show you to your riad in the medina. If you only have larger denominations, you'll immediately lose any perceived benefit of saving a few ££ getting the bus or a taxi. Just to stress the context - many taxi drivers simply won't know where your riad is as the medina is so vast and complicated and even maps won't necessarily help.

Marrakech
8. Re: how much from marrakech airport to jemaa el fna

Depends on your dealing with either the Taxi as a quickest and safe transport reaching your accommodation, as well as the riad or the hotel pick up.

you could use the Bus 19 use the link above on the right of your screen at the top FAQ about Marrakech, titled Air-port Bus.

Thornton Cleveleys...
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
reviews: 22
9. Re: how much from marrakech airport to jemaa el fna

Personally, the last thing I want to do after hours of travelling is spend 10 minutes haggling with taxi drivers (who may or may not know where my riad is) and then discover that there is no road within 5 minutes walk of the riad anyway!

I know you say your riad is only 2-3 mins from Djemma el Fna but if you don't know EXACTLY where you're going, that could easily become 20 minutes of wandering lost through endless alleys.

It is well worth £15 to be met by riad staff and a porter and taken to the door. Some things in Marrakech are priceless - the ease of a riad transfer is one of them :-)

Edited: 6:04 pm, April 22, 2012
reviews: 17
10. Re: how much from marrakech airport to jemaa el fna

I booked a taxi (150 dirhams) with my riad the last time I visited Marrakech . I'm going back next year but I'll use the airport bus to the hotel instead !!

Reply to: how much from marrakech airport to jemaa el fna
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted