We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice re eating out please

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lancashire
reviews: 12
Advice re eating out please

Will be in Marrakesh week after next for a few days, would appreciate some recommendations re eating out. In particular a nice restaurant for us to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary, something traditional and a bit special would be great! also, heard lots of conflicting advice about eating at the stalls in Jemma el Fna - is there anywhere to be avoided - or that we should head for?

Are there bars close to Jemma el Fna to have a glass or two of wine after eating out?

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
reviews: 7
1. Re: Advice re eating out please

for top restaurants try Tobsil, dar Moha, dar Fes, Elfassia, la maison Arabe, in whatever order.For a galss of wine try La maison arabe bar. it's the best of its kind: it serves tapas.

Gibraltar
reviews: 1
2. Re: Advice re eating out please

Go see the Chez Ali Fantasia.It's VERY touristy,but memorable.

We were served a rich harira soup, then a platter of couscous and vegetables,followed by a lamb tagine cooked with apples and pears and cinnamon(served in a conical tagine pot),that makes my mouth water just remembering it. This was followed by a very sweet pastry dessert and washed down with the traditional mint tea.

After dinner we left the tents and found seats on the wooden benches around the large corral outside.There was an opportunity for a very quick camel ride if you have always wanted to try this!Then it was time for the Berber horsemanship show.This was quite enjoyable and the performers were quite amazing to watch.

Next there is a lone belly-dancer performing in the middle of the corral on a raised platform and As a finale there is a brief fireworks display as a"magic carpet",very obviously on a pulley wobbles precariously between two tall buildings at one end of the compound.

Tickets for this fun and Disney-esque evening cost about forty dollars and I would say this is not a bad price to pay for such a unique evening, but remember, while at Chez Ali you will never forget you are a tourist (-:

London
3. Re: Advice re eating out please

There is a great little bar called Kosy Bar, don't let the name put you off I can't remember the address but not far from the square. Marakchi is a trditional restaurant with views of the square, call in the day before and choose your table and request the roasted lamb ( Machoui, I think it's called but it's clearly shown on the menu they display outside ). Another nice place for a drink is the bar at Les Jardins De La Koutoubia. A great website to check for other places is a new one called www.hipmarrakech.com the address for Kosy Bar is on this website.

Happy anniversary

Lancashire
4. Re: Advice re eating out please

Thanks for your advice! I'll be taking the info with me when we go on Monday. Till then - keep 'em coming folks!

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 5
5. Re: Advice re eating out please

I visited Marrakech in December 2005, and I ate at the open air food stalls in the evening at Jemaa el Fna for four nights. I had no problems with the food while I was there.

Eating at the stalls in Jemaa El Fna is fine if you use common sense. The Time Out guide for Marrakech has some excellent tips for eating in the open air food stalls.

London,England
6. Re: Advice re eating out please

just back from 3rd visit to Marrakech..love the place !

can thoroughly recommend the following..

Tobsil...vey romantic setting, excellent Moroccan food (though no choice of menu as such)

Le Pavilion...again fabulous setting, high quality French & Moroccan food.

Dar Moha (used to be Pierre Balmain's house)...good Moroccan food (limited choice)very romantic if you get a table by the floodlit pool

Le Fondouk...probably the best food of all, stunning & very stylish decor & well priced..head for a table on the candle-lit roof terrace.

Hope these suggestions help & have a great time !

evesham
reviews: 5
7. Re: Advice re eating out please

Just back for twin centre marrekech and agadir ! Went to chez Ali and we had half roasted lamb fantastic !

Eating in the square is amazing we ate at stall 86 ! Fantastic would recommend it totally for the experience alone ! Food great no problems ! the lads were added entertainment and treated us like royalty !

Enjoy !!

Lancashire
8. Re: Advice re eating out please

Thanks again - I will be taking your recommendations along with us. a great help going with such sound advice - especially as we're only there for a few days. Won't have to spend all day looking for restaurants etc! (Can concentrate on the shopping instead - don't tell hubby!!!)

London, UK
reviews: 1
9. Re: Advice re eating out please

My wife and I were in Marrakech last week.

If you want something cheap and authentic then I would recommed Chez Chegrouni, which is in Jemaa al-Fna. The tagines are really good, but make sure you get there early so you can have seats on the terrace.

For something more modern and romantic (and expensive) try Le Comptoir. Its located in the Hivernage area, which is a 10 min walk from Jemaa al-Fna. You may need to book on certain evenings as it can get quite busy. The menu is varied with both Moroccan and International dishes; they also have a nice bar; the restaurant has a relaxed atmosphere and the staff are all young and friendly and offer a really good service.