We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transport from Marrakech to Essaouria

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Oxford, United...
reviews: 27
Transport from Marrakech to Essaouria

I'm going to Morocco with 4 friends in September and we're planning to stay in Marrakech for 2 nights before going on to Essaouria. The only problem is that I'm terrified of drivers who speed down unsafe roads and I've heard that there's a high fatality rate on Moroccan roads. The journey is supposed to be around 3 hours, which is too much for me if I don't feel safe. Does anyone have advice? Should I take a bus or a taxi, and can anyone recommend reliable drivers?

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 62
1. Re: Transport from Marrakech to Essaouria

Hi,

Take the Supratours bus (you'll find plenty of recommendations and the timetable on the forum by using the search box).

London, United...
2. Re: Transport from Marrakech to Essaouria

I travelled the same journey last September on a Supra tours coach and another time on a CTM coach; both were extremely comfortable and safe. I really wouldn't worry at all, my only advice would be to make sure you book a return ticket as soon as you get to Essaouria, the last time I went I made the mistake of turning up with my bags and expecting to easily buy a ticket back to Marrakesh but they had sold out and I and had to use a "more local" coach company which was fine but just a bit more rustic/steamy/cramped.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 12
3. Re: Transport from Marrakech to Essaouria

The coach does stop midway for about 25 minutes for you to have snacks, use the loo, stretch your legs, have a cig etc.

Some folk do this route regularly and are not put off.

By asking for "reliable drivers" you may now be inundated with private messages of offers.

The only advantage with a taxi is you could ask him to make more frequent stops, if you speak the lingo that is.

Oxford, United...
4. Re: Transport from Marrakech to Essaouria

Supratours sounds ideal, thanks. I will check it out nearer the time :)

Kent, UK
reviews: 9
5. Re: Transport from Marrakech to Essaouria

totally agree with the supratours option. its very easy to find (just down from the rail station in marrakech, isn't expensive and drops you right outside the old walls in Essioura. Shimmin knows his stuff- he lives & works in Marrakech!

Oxford, United...
6. Re: Transport from Marrakech to Essaouria

We're hoping to stay at Riad Papillon and the airport transfer organised by the riad is £15 per person (£60 in total), which seems very expensive compared to the price of a taxi for 4. Should we risk the extra hassle and just get a taxi when we're at the airport? It's bound to be cheaper, surely?

Marrakech, Morocco
reviews: 55
7. Re: Transport from Marrakech to Essaouria

Correct. "Standard" airport transfers to the medina are 100 Dh to 200 per taxi, not per person. In other words, £16 to £32 maximum. Apply your bartering skills here and it will save you money.

Edited: 10:54 am, February 19, 2012
Oxford, United...
8. Re: Transport from Marrakech to Essaouria

Thanks very much, I'll look into organising my own taxi.

Edited: 12:42 pm, February 19, 2012
marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 62
9. Re: Transport from Marrakech to Essaouria

Hi,

You could try asking the Riad to drop the price of the transfer as it really is way over the normal.

Wassenaar, The...
reviews: 3
10. Re: Transport from Marrakech to Essaouria

supratours,nothing else, bij the RAIL-station don,t go to the busstation,there are a lot of boys and sell you tickets and after 2 and a half hour the bus from the busstation stops on every corner. we arrived in essaouria and we booked a riad in the medina,we where wondering about the small pick-up cars for the lugage,because nothing else can go into the medina,there are a lot of good hotels on the beach side.