We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety, drinking water, market foods, toilets, women dress

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney
reviews: 31
Safety, drinking water, market foods, toilets, women dress

We will be visiting Marrakech, Fez, Casablanca, Rabat, Tangiers this April and even though I have read the side questions would like to hear from persons with their own experiences about safety of drinking water, eating at market stalls, as a women do I need my legs and shoulders covered, besides toilets being in cafes , resturants, would I find a toilet outside of these venues? Do major Palaces, churches have toilets?

Manchester
Destination Expert
for Tangier
reviews: 7
1. Re: Safety, drinking water, market foods, toilets, women dress

I think that you will find that there will be many conflicting replies regarding the safety of drinking water, I personally only ever drink bottled water, unlike most other posters neither do I eat from market stalls, I don't do it in the U.K, In fairness I have a very dicey stomach so I do have to be exceptionally careful. I do not cover my legs. you may find that you feel more comfortable having something draped loosely over your shoulders, though it is not totally necessary. Do be aware that toilets are not normally available, except in cafes, restaurants. Certainly in Tanger there are no public toilets and I think that also applies to the other major cities. It certainly wouldbe useful to take some wipes with you when you are out, as most toilets do not always have tissues. Be aware that not all cafes will have european toilets, at least that is my experience.

hope that you have a good holiday.

Sydney
reviews: 31
2. Re: Safety, drinking water, market foods, toilets, women dress

Thank you for you reply , I do appriecate your personal advise. I too don't like to eat at foods stalls here in Sydney, Australia

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 63
3. Re: Safety, drinking water, market foods, toilets, women dress

Hi,

everything you ask has been extensively covered in the forums before. Use the Top Questions box on the right of the page, the search option above your post and the travel guide tab on the left of the page and you will find all the answers you need already posted.

Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 32
4. Re: Safety, drinking water, market foods, toilets, women dress

We never ever drink tap water when we travel - except in the UK, US, Canada and NZ.

We never ever eat food from market stalls either and as a result despite months of travel in the developing world have only very rarely (well only once really) been sick.

As a woman I would not be comfortable in Morocco (or any other Muslim country) with bare shoulders or wearing clothing above the knee.

There are toilets at some of the public attractions in all of the cities you mention.

Athens, Greece
reviews: 19
5. Re: Safety, drinking water, market foods, toilets, women dress

Safer to stick to bottled water. Marrakech food stalls are OK, nothing ever happened to me and have eaten there countless times.

As for clothing, tourists are tourists, and it is not frown upon bare shoulders, after all if it is hot summer day.

It is good always to have handy couple of dirhams, as in some restaurants the toilet attendant will appreciate a small tip.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 12
6. Re: Safety, drinking water, market foods, toilets, women dress

>>We never ever drink tap water when we travel - except in the UK, US, Canada and NZ.<<

Now that really is silly. There is absolutely no need to avoid the tap water anywhere in Europe. It is probably OK in Morocco too: the locals drink it without ill effect.

Adelaide, Australia
7. Re: Safety, drinking water, market foods, toilets, women dress

Well Nick that is our rule and it has stood us in good stead in visits to over 100 countries so far. And the the locals actually advised us not to drink tap water in Morocco. And we didnt just travel to "touristy" spots in big cities - nor do we ever stay in 5* hotels.

Locals are used to their own water (not just bugs but also different minerals etc) - travellers need to be much more careful.

Also I think its pretty rude to call someone "silly" here since you have no idea how and where and in what circumstances we travel.

Good luck to you if you want to drink the tap water on a train or a ferry in eastern Europe, or in a small farmstay in rural Spain, France or Italy - but I dont take those risks.

Anyway why have you suddenly appeared on the Marrakech forum? Never seen you here before.

Edited: 6:59 am, February 18, 2012
Marrakech, Morocco
reviews: 55
8. Re: Safety, drinking water, market foods, toilets, women dress

Far be it from me to interrupt this little spat between our Australian cousins but surely commonsense should apply: if in any doubt about the saftety of water supplies anywhere (because of doubts over the source or whether the traveller is susceptible to gastrointestinal upsets) then stick to bottled water. Easy!

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 39
9. Re: Safety, drinking water, market foods, toilets, women dress

Most people get stomach upsets through poor personal hygiene, not washing their hands before eating.

The town tap water provided by ONEP (organisation national eau portable) is excellent quality and I drink it all the time with no adverse affects. The company employs tens of thousands of workers in Morocco, has won awards for its services, and is used as a consultative body by other African water companies.

However, if you're the sort of person who easily gets an upset stomach drinking the water, say, of Sydney, when you come from Adelaide, then you should definitely stick with bottled water, coke, fanta, whatever.

BUT... if high concentrations of minerals upset you, then stay clear of some of the brands of bottled water, particularly Sizi Harazem. Sidi Ali is much milder.

Adelaide, Australia
10. Re: Safety, drinking water, market foods, toilets, women dress

We did buy/drink mostly Sidi Ali - but also the riads and small hotels we stayed in all provided us with bottled water- AND advised us not to drink tap water. As did our local guides.

We were also advised by our local guide dont eat the food from the stalls in the Square in Marrakech "unless you want to die" - his exact words.