We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marrakech Airport

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Newcastle upon...
reviews: 90
Marrakech Airport

Don't believe all you read, the airport has changed radically and is now little different to any other international destination.

Arrival was smooth, and although we only had hand luggage, we were stood in the arrivals hall within 20 minutes of landing.

Plenty of services; free clean toilets, cafe's, shops, car hire, cash machines, bureau de change etc etc.

Transfers from the Airport to the City are easy, No 19 bus leaves from outside the terminal building and winds it's way around the majority of the major hotels and ends up adjacent to the main square. Cost 30 dhms one way. Alternatively plenty of Grande and Petit Taxis (we paid 60dhms in a petit taxi from the main square back to the Airport) The return bus journey also passes the front of the Railway Station on it's way back to the Airport.

Departure was just as smooth just like any international Airport however, a few things to be aware of:

1 The Duty free shops will NOT accept Dirhams, only euros, you can pay by credit/debit card.

2 You are NOT permitted to bring Dirhams out of the country.

3 In order to change Dirhams in to your own currency you need to prove that you own it, we had to show passport, receipt from cash machine and bank card. We also asked for Sterling but there was insufficient. We ended up with Euros. The Exchange Rate was not favourable.

IN SHORT, HAVE ENOUGH DIRHAMS TO GET YOU TO THE AIRPORT AND NO MORE. GET INTO DEPARTURES AND THEN USE EUROS OR PLASTIC.

Departures Lounge has all the facilities you need, cafe's, shops, duty free etc. We flew out around 8pm and the Duty Frees shut while we were waiting to board.

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 39
1. Re: Marrakech Airport

Helpful post. Small correction, you can bring in/take out up to 1000 dirhams.

Newcastle upon...
reviews: 90
2. Re: Marrakech Airport

I was unaware of that, thank you.

colchester
Destination Expert
for Agadir
reviews: 27
3. Re: Marrakech Airport

only places at the airport that didn't take dihram, were the duty frees, cafes and shops quite happy to accept.

Marrakech was a pleasant surprise, quite justifying it's place in a recent pole when it gained 7th place in Worlds Best Airports.

Jaycine

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 63
4. Re: Marrakech Airport

Hi,

They also have a good website;

flightstats.com/go/Airport/airportDetails.do…

and this;

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293730-s601/Morocco:…

from the Travel Guide traveller articles tells you all you need to know about money and banks etc.

Lots of useful stuff tucked away on this site if you do a bit of exploring.

Edited: 5:50 pm, February 06, 2012
Marrakech
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
5. Re: Marrakech Airport

Whilst I appreciate you are giving an update I don't fully agree with all of your comments.

Passport control on arrival and departure depends on the number of flights arriving and departing on that particular day and time. Passport control can be quiet and quick or busy and slow.

You can bring into and take out of Morocco up to 1000 MAD per person.

When exchanging dirhams for sterling sometimes a receipt is asked for, sometimes not. I am surprised that you were asked to produce your passport and bank card - and I am interested to know how many other people have experienced this recently. I wonder if procedures have changed with the banks or if it was the specific outlet that you used.

Housebuyer - did you exchange the dirhams at the bank or one of the bureau de change kiosks?

Cafes in the departure lounge accept dirhams.

NYC
6. Re: Marrakech Airport

I have a late flight out (about 8:30pm) Will duty free be closed ?? If so, anything interesting that I might miss out on buying ??

7. Re: Marrakech Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 1:35 pm, August 20, 2012
8. Re: Marrakech Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 1:35 pm, August 20, 2012
Derbyshire, United...
reviews: 68
9. Re: Marrakech Airport

Can we use sterling in the cafes? Have spent all of our dirhams!!!!

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 63
10. Re: Marrakech Airport

Hi,

Yes you can.

Get answers to your questions about Marrakech