We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ficion books/novels set in Marrakech

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
reviews: 33
Ficion books/novels set in Marrakech

Hi. I'm looking forward to a trip to Marrakech later this year and looking for a fiction book based in Morroco/Marrakech to wet the apatite!

I've ordered some guide books, but looking for some fictional reading. Anyone got any suggestions/recommendations?

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 35
1. Re: Ficion books/novels set in Marrakech

Fact is often stranger than fiction and I can recommend both White Gold and Lords of the Atlas, see morocco-knowledgebase.net/forum/…

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
reviews: 7
2. Re: Ficion books/novels set in Marrakech

A Street in Marrakech by Elisabeth Fernea. Still topical 40 years later

Kathmandu, Nepal
reviews: 37
3. Re: Ficion books/novels set in Marrakech

Even though they are not fiction, I second the two books suggested by Tim as they both make fascinating reading.

East Gwillimbury...
reviews: 74
4. Re: Ficion books/novels set in Marrakech

"The Drifters" by James Michener

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 62
5. Re: Ficion books/novels set in Marrakech

Hi,

Maroc by Daniel Easterman is a good adventure novel.

Zohra's Ladder by Pamela Windoo is a collection of Moroccan tales.

Edited: 10:35 am, January 21, 2012
WARWICK
reviews: 12
6. Re: Ficion books/novels set in Marrakech

Amazir By Tom Gamble.

Fes
7. Re: Ficion books/novels set in Marrakech

Moroccan Writers

For modern Moroccan fiction Tahar Ben Jelloun is excellent, gives a real insight into the Moroccan psyche. For older Moroccan fiction I'd recommend Mohammed M'rabet.

Non-Moroccan writers

Hideous Kinky by Esther Frued is an account of a 'hippy' mother and her 2 children living in Marrakech in the early 70's, it is written in the voice of the youngest child.

Peter Mayle's, A year in Marrakech is from the time (in the 50s) that the writer spent there, available from Eland books.

My own favourite is Walter Harris', Morocco That Was, he was The Times' correspondent in Tanger at the turn of last century. Gavin Maxwell, writer of 'Lords of the Atlas', took much of his material from this book.

American Paul Bowles wrote many books set in Morocco, arguably the best being The Spiders House, which is set in Fez.

Most guidebooks have a Moroccan literature section, so check that out when you get one.

Harrogate Uk
reviews: 1
8. Re: Ficion books/novels set in Marrakech

Hideous Kinky Esther Freud, It was made into a film with Kate Winslet but the book is better. Light read/chick flick :)

Marrakech, Morocco
reviews: 55
9. Re: Ficion books/novels set in Marrakech

Some of the replies above ignore the original question - that is, fiction set in Marrakech, not histories or travelogues, nor set in other Moroccan cities. Having said that some of the recommendations remain very informative reads, especially at responses 1, 2, 4 , and 5.

Fes
10. Re: Ficion books/novels set in Marrakech

To the OP

if you need some advice on good & cheap London bookshops for some of the books I recommend above (response No,7) please PM me.