We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommended short trek?

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brooklyn, New York...
Recommended short trek?

Hi,

My boyfriend and I are going to Morocco for a short trip (5 days) in April. We are flying in and out of Casablanca, but plan to spend most of our time in/around Marrakech. We'd really like to do an overnight trek, but we don't have time for a long trip. Ideally, we'd do something that takes 2 full days and 1 night - either the mountains or the desert (prefer desert, but it sounds like that is harder to do quickly), and we definitely want it to include camel riding. Any recommendations on overnight treks from Marrakech?

Is this even worth doing on such a time-constraint, or would we be better off staying the full time in the city?

Thanks!

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 63
1. Re: Recommended short trek?

Hi,

Have a look in the Top Questions box on the right of the page for lots of useful information about this subject.

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
reviews: 10
2. Re: Recommended short trek?

In 2 days you can visit Zagora and do the overnight camp

merzouga which is farther requires a minimum of 4 days

East Gwillimbury...
reviews: 74
3. Re: Recommended short trek?

My opinion would be to spend the time in Marrakech, or take a day trip to the Atlas or Essaouira. 5 days in Marrakech is not too much...in my opinion. cheers

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 39
4. Re: Recommended short trek?

Flying into casablanca isn't ideal. After a long flight from the States you might end up spending the first night there which, together with the 3 hours each way travelling to/from Marrakech means you only really have four days.

You therefore don't have time to go to the semi-arid region (it's not really a desert, and it's certainly not the Sahara).

Suggest you look at trekking in the Imlil area which is a couple of hours south of Marrakech in the central High Atlas. Imlil is at 1700m and there's lots of low level (1700-2500m) trails as well as higher level ones.

Stockholm, Sweden
reviews: 64
5. Re: Recommended short trek?

To go to Zagora is to far and you have not time either. You are in Morocco only 5 days so I recommend you to go to Marrakech as soon as you land in Casablanca. And make some short trip as Tim suggest.

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
reviews: 310
6. Re: Recommended short trek?

i think an overnight in essouria would be great. a nice relaxing time after marrakech. the bus is really easy and inexpensive. they have great seafood there, and you can watch the boats come in the morning and sell their catch.

7. Re: Recommended short trek?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:33 am, January 09, 2012
Stockholm, Sweden
8. Re: Recommended short trek?

sorry, it would be madness to make a trip to Zagora when you have only 5 days in Morocco!!!

Canada
reviews: 63
9. Re: Recommended short trek?

You can go to Essaouira from Marrakesh and ride camels on the beach there. Also, there are three-day, two-night excursions to Erg Chebbi available from Marrakesh but that is really rushing through the country when you have just five days. The scenery is great throughout most of Morocco--the dullest stretch is from Casa to Marrakesh.

A day or two in Marrakesh is always enough for me, and don't spend a night in Casa if you can help it. There are more exciting places to see.

Stockholm, Sweden
10. Re: Recommended short trek?

It would be madness to go to Erg Chebbi too :), but I am agree about that to stay in Marrakech 2 days are enough for me too.

You can make some trip near Marrakech like Ourika Valley or waterfall Ouzoud.