We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I read somewhere that you cannot buy Dirhams outside of...

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 101
I read somewhere that you cannot buy Dirhams outside of...

Is that true ??, how I am supposed to pay for the taxi to the hotel ??, is there a cash machine at the airport ???

1. Re: I read somewhere that you cannot buy Dirhams outside of...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:56 am, March 14, 2006
Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 12
2. Re: I read somewhere that you cannot buy Dirhams outside of...

For information, the rate of exchange is just over 15 Dirhams to the British Pound or 10D to the Euro. The Dirham is a closed currency meaning it cannot be bought outside Morocco; if you are offered these be wary as they may be forgeries or you will get a low rate.

Only buy them when you enter Morocco; there is a bureau dechange at the airport but you have to give cash. Banks, cash machines and bureau de change at the airport all offer the same exchange rate as set by the Government and this is the safest way to acquire cash. Hotels may give you a bad deal.

If you are travelling from Europe and have a Maestro/Cirrus ATM card, it will be accepted all over Morocco as there are machines just about everywhere.

You can pay hotel accounts with Visa or Mastercard. If you make purchases with a credit card, make sure you know the PIN number as they do not accept signatures in Morocco.

Travellers cheques are accepted (except at the airport) but will attract a commission on each cheque; it works out better to take larger denominations if you prefer these and you have the added protection of them being replaced if lost or stolen.

Any more queries, please contact me at jklejna@aol.com

reviews: 101
3. Re: I read somewhere that you cannot buy Dirhams outside of...

thanks guys , Can I assume that the normal credit cards are used freely in hotels / restaurants , are cash machines available outside banks etc ??

4. Re: I read somewhere that you cannot buy Dirhams outside of...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:56 am, March 14, 2006
Miami Beach, Florida
5. Re: I read somewhere that you cannot buy Dirhams outside of...

yes,you need to pay the taxi to the hotel .and the cards are not free.there is a percentage that they take out from it driectly.

Marrakech,Morocco
6. Re: I read somewhere that you cannot buy Dirhams outside of...

Sorry, but this gets confusing when you read the different posts. Let's do a recap:

1- Unless you go to some Moroccan bank(BMCE Bank,Banque Populaire) offices in major European cities you cannot buy Dirhams. 2- Once in Morocco you can cash or exchange money respectively at ATMs or the bank office at the airport. 3- The exchange rate is regulated by the State Bank and is the same everywhere. You should not accept anybody giving you a different rate from the one printed on the official exchange chart that is supposed to be posted at every place where money exchange is likely to occur(Banks, Hotels, shops, etc).

4- There's a 10dh echange fee per traveler Check.

5- You can use international credit cards and currencies to cover major expenses and purchases. However, for small amounts cash is preffered.Note that you should not accept to be charged the bank commission when using a credit card.

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 98
7. Re: I read somewhere that you cannot buy Dirhams outside of...

Yes, there is a cash machine at the airport. The exchange rate today is 8.9 DH to the US dollar.

penna
8. Re: I read somewhere that you cannot buy Dirhams outside of...

well at banks the rate is teh same but i have found both better then bank rates and worse then bank rates in the markets.

but for me i just use my home bank card. there are terminals in all bigger places.

and many small places have one.

the airport has at least 2 if not more

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 98
9. Re: I read somewhere that you cannot buy Dirhams outside of...

You will have the best success with the bank machines. Please don't change money with anyone other than an official location. You will be asked by locals to change money for them (some tourist gave them some euros our some dollars or something else and they have difficulty changing them). Don't change any high value bills as they could be counterfeits. I have often changed one euro coins for kids who have been given them for tourists and, of course, banks won't change coins for anyone, just bills.