We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The odd tipple

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lancashire
reviews: 11
The odd tipple

How available is alcohol in Marrakesh? My hubby and I are rather partial to a glass of wine with a meal! Is it OK to take a bottle of duty free into the country?

1. Re: The odd tipple

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:55 am, March 14, 2006
Derby
reviews: 3
2. Re: The odd tipple

We have just returned from a 4 day break in Marrakech, and are also partial to wine with our meals. There was a wine list in all the Morrocan restaurants we went to, but surprisingly the couple of italian restaurants served only soft drinks. So, I'd check before you go in if they serve alcohol. Generally it's fine though. In our hotel there was a bar that we could go to serving all the usual stuff, although they did bring quite a lot of 'free' food to our table while we were having a drink. So, we guess that there are rules about having to have food with drink. Also, from reading the guides we could see that although some restaurants didn't serve alcohol it was OK to take a bottle in with you. In the Time Out guide to Marrakech for the restaurant reviews it also tells you whether alcohol is served for each place.

Lancashire
reviews: 11
3. Re: The odd tipple

Thank you Bestguide and Melklee!! Any recommendations re bars/restaurants? We're celebrating out 20th wedding anniversary - so would like to try somewhere a bit special but traditionally Morroccan.

Derby
reviews: 3
4. Re: The odd tipple

If you want a fantastic Morrocan meal just outside the Medina in a calm setting we can recommend the Moroccain at the Mamounia Hotel. It's a good place to go for an occasion. I believe the guide book said that a Hitchcock film was based here years ago (The man who wasn't there). The food is great, and there is a set menu for 600 dirham each which includes all food, tips for waiters, dancers, musicians etc, and is well worth the money. The wine list is breathtakingly expensive, unless you're better off than we are. So we ordered the cheapest bottle of red wine on the menu (210 diram, approx £13), which luckily was very nice indeed! www.mamounia.com/eng/dining/restaurant.php#

Surrey England
reviews: 29
5. Re: The odd tipple

Hi

We went last Oct and stayed at the fab Riad Kaiss. We also like a glass of wine or two - we didn't find it that easy to find unless you were eating in a more established Rst. We bought duty free and took a bottle with us to a Pizza place which was very good opposite it tower (first floor) name escapes me - but they were fine and offered to open it for us, brought glasses etc. Bars are a bit scarce - but try Cosy Bar it is great very chilled - it is down in a courtyard setting next to the ruined place (the one with the storks nesting on it) its has roof terrace so you are on the same level as the storks - its got a good view over the town and they place really laid back Jazz - perfect for a large glass of white on a lazy sunny afternoon as the sun starts to go down over the tower..

Devon England
reviews: 1
6. Re: The odd tipple

Dear Tracy,

We just came back - and also like our wine!

In general we found that the lunch places around the Djem el Fna didn't serve wine or beer ( although we got non alc. version of latter at terrasses Allhambra)with the exception of marakchki (sp? but you'll see it in your guide book). The cafe's around the kasbah didn't either. However, we nipped into Jardins de Kotoubia for lunch in their very pleasant garden, and enjoyed a Casablanca and a glass of rose. The hotels are useful for that. We found the fancy dinner places all served wine, although the Morroccan was infinitely cheaper than imported ( no suprise there). I don't about other Italian rastaurants, but Cafe Arabe, which we also really liked, certainly had a full wine and cocktail list, as well as an Italian menu (with tagine section...)It's also centrally located by the nicest part of the souk. Just find the Mouassine fountain, take rue the big street opposite towards Bab Doukala and it's on the right. Have fun! Lucy

Devon England
reviews: 1
7. Re: The odd tipple

Dear Tracy,

Re: your second post: we had a lovely dinner at Fondouk - which was beautiful, fancy but not pretentious, and had ( to me) the massive advantage of having a menu of Morrocan food, rather than just a set meal - which tends to be vast and leave you feeling a bit like a stuffed boa constrictor. It's tricky to find, but they will send someone to collect you and walk you back, and the walk itself is rather romantic, through the warrens of the lit medina at night....