We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how much spending money for 6 days?

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
how much spending money for 6 days?

Hi Everyone,

Firstly, thanks so much to everyone posting answers on the forums - you have given me some great information/ideas.

My question is - im going with my husband for 7 days to Marrakech over the New-Year period.... how much spending money will we need? Is around 1100 us dollars (approx 700 quid) enough? I dont mean hotel/flights/shopping but stuff like Food/Alcohol/Travel/Activities/New-Years Eve going out etc. I am trying to plan a budget but finding it confusing.

We do want to do a one day trip to Essaouira for quad biking and maybe a day trip to the Atlas mountains and the rest of the time exploring Marrakech. Is all this possible within the above budget or are things expensive in Marrakech especially around the high season time?

Thanks so much guys, much appreciated.

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 62
1. Re: how much spending money for 6 days?

Hi,

The more up-market restaurants double or even quadruple their prices at New Year so bear that in mind. You should also ask your hotel/Riad to book you in for the 31st if you want to go out as most places are booked up very early in December. Your general question has been asked very recently. Type "spending money" or similar into the search box and you should find lots of previously posted tips.

London, United...
2. Re: how much spending money for 6 days?

Thanks for your reply

I took your advice and it looks like 700 quid might be too little an amount.....hmmm.....we will probably have to rethink some of our plans

thanks again

Cardiff, United...
reviews: 30
3. Re: how much spending money for 6 days?

I would say it should be possible on £700 but it all depends on where you will be eating and how much you will be drinking, you can get a meal in a decent cafe from £4 each or upmarket restuarant for £100+ per person.

The activities cost will (approximately)

Travel to Essaouira (with a private driver) around £90 (Leave Marrakech around 8/9am, takes around 2 hours to get there, do your quad biking, have lunch in the fish market, then have a few hours looking around the medina, Portugese Fort and souks, leave Essaouria at 6/7pm. I have done this daytrip, it was a long day but one of the best I have had.

The quad biking will cost £90 (£45 per person with PalmaQuad in Essaouira, for 3 hours), I have used them twice and they are very good, you ride the quads along the beach, right next to the Atlantic Ocean, there are lots of sand dunes that you have to negotiate, it is great fun.

Daytrip to the Atlas Mountains will cost a total of £70 for the day with a private driver. The most common trip is to the Ourika Valley to see the village of Setti Fatima and to do some light climbing to see the waterfalls there.

Agadir, Morocco
4. Re: how much spending money for 6 days?

hello

you need at least 1500 euro or 1700 euro

i had the same experience before (i spent 8 night , 4 in agadir and 4 in marrakech) .

best regards

poole
reviews: 23
5. Re: how much spending money for 6 days?

Have just got back from a week in Marrakech and as a couple we spent about £800,Much more than i wanted to! We did quads one morning and paid for a guide to take us to the Ourika valley and other sights. I will do a seperate report about the trips when i have time.

we also paid for a guide to show us around the souks and sights of marrakech as i got lost twice and still hadnt seen what i wanted to see!

London, United...
6. Re: how much spending money for 6 days?

Thanks everyone for all your replies....really helps with the planning. Definately still want to do the essaoira trip but may forgo the atlas mountains.

Thanks for your advice MIB15 - that day trip you described sounds sublime. In order to do this trip we are planning on having nye dinner at our riad (which serves alcohol) and then making our way down to the square to watch the fireworks. Seems more romantic than a large club-like or bar-like place and within budget....so score!

Stigred - you had a guide for the souks? Is this advisable or if we dont have a specific plan and just want to have a look around can we just 'get lost' in the maze and wander round? Thanks so much for your insight....definately helps. Looking forward to your reports! It looks like Marrakech is not a cheap holiday but definately promises to be exciting!

Marrakech, Morocco
reviews: 55
7. Re: how much spending money for 6 days?

You do not need a guide for the souks, lilacflite, as a decent map (I suggest "Marrakech!. My Map") available at kiosks surrounding the square, Djemma al Fna, will be of help (Or perhaps your riad will provide one as we do.) And if you do get lost (as is inevitable) a youth will - for a small consideration! - guide you back there without any hassle. And no, Marrakech is not a cheap holiday option but I know that you will not be disappointed at all that it has to offer. Have a great trip!

London, United...
reviews: 2
8. Re: how much spending money for 6 days?

A guide definitely not needed . There are signs back to the main square inside the souks and anyway, you can simply ask any shopkeeper if lost. A smile goes a long way, and employing a guide for such a simple task only reinforces the view that tourists have more money than sense.

As for your budget, what you have already suggested is more than enough unless you are foolish enough to overpay and/or throw money away on things like guides. As for the restaurants that double/triple/quadruple prices in high season, there is one answer to that - avoid them!

One way of saving money is to understand petit taxi prices in advance. Too many tourists are ripped off on a daily basis, naively agreeing to pay (for example) 100 dh for a taxi ride that should cost less than 10 dh. If you are not confident enough to ask for the meter to be used, at least don't let the taxi driver bully you into overpaying (believe me, they will try). 10 dh is usually more than enough for a local taxi journey within the city limits. You do get honest taxi drivers but they are few and far between, and in my experience usually elderly gentlemen. It can mount up if you are taking taxis 3 or 4 times a day, which I usually do.

Edited: 3:22 am, November 17, 2011
reviews: 1
9. Re: how much spending money for 6 days?

What is the money rate out there and how dose it work please

Marrakech, Morocco
reviews: 55
10. Re: how much spending money for 6 days?

Welcome to the forum. Please see

http://www.xe.com/ucc/

for exchange rates.