We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My experience in Morocco

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
reviews: 1
My experience in Morocco

Hello

My husband and I just returned from a week long trip in Morocco. We first went to Marrakech for three nights, then Casablanca and Fez. In Marrakech we stayed at Riad Sherezade only a block or two from Jemma el Fna. The riad is cute, clean, and the staff is amazing, helpful, just wonderful. But in order for you not to get dissapointed, I would suggest that when you go to Morocco, compare everything with Moroccon standards and forget about U.S hotels. The room was small, no tv or phone but it was perfect for us because we went there to explore Morocco and not sleep. The rate was $410 dhrihams (about $45/night) for two people. We only booked the hotel for the first night and then just told that staff that we might stay another night and so on. The people were very nice through out Morocco, helpful, but they will give you the highest prices. So always try to negotiate. For example, we were trying to take a petit taxi from the airport to the hotel and intitially they told us it was 150 dhrihams/person so we told them that is crazy, we have been here before and we know the prices. Finally another taxi driver heard us and accepted 50 dhrihams for both of us. Another example was the horse carriage (caliche). Initially they told us it was 300 dhrihams from Jema el Fna to Menara gardens and we were able to bring the price down to 40 dhrihams, and so many examples to tell. So Marrakech was good, make sure to go to Chez Ali. We paid about 400 dhrihams/person booked throught Riad Sherezade. Also, try the "Al Barakta" restaurant right near Jema El Fna. It was a great experience. After you get tired of the Moroccan food, go to Portus Banus at Gueliz, great food with spanish flavor. Casablanca was totally disgusting, dusty, old, nothing attractive besides the Hassan II mosque (great sight). We even went to Casablanca's port at this restaurant for Oysters. The oysters were very fresh and yummy. At Casa we stayed at IBIS Mousaffir, right by the Train station "casa voyager." Cute and modern this hotel is a great convenience if you plan to take the train. The train is excellent but always book first class. We paid 140 dhrihams from Casa to Fez. Fez was alright, after a while in Morocco, everything starts to look the same. But I was very impressed with the people, friendly, helpful, very safe to walk around at all times but make sure you tip even if someone is showing you where to go. All in all we had a good experience.

Hong Kong, China
reviews: 17
1. Re: My experience in Morocco

Thank you for that trip report Korca!

Out of curiosity, where did you stay in fes?

England
2. Re: My experience in Morocco

I am going to Marrakesh and Fes very soon, and your post was very valuable to me.

Is it possible for you to tell me where you also stayed in Fes, did you get any good Riad deals?.

New York City, New...
3. Re: My experience in Morocco

In Fez we stayed at hotel "La Perla." It's only one block from the Fez train station. The reason why we stayed there is because it was recommended by a person we met on the train, and since we didn't have anything booked, it was either Ibis Mousaffir (right at the train station) or La Perla. We decided to go with the latter. We walked to the hotel and it was cute, clean and new. The people were friendly and for the amount of money (380 dhrihams/night for both of us) it was great. They had plenty of rooms and a restaurant, elevator. The room had a phone and tv. It was just a taxi ride (less than $1) to the medina in Fez. Mostly it was very convenient because of its proximity to the train station. I would def recommend it. Just be aware that everywhere we slept in Morocco, we discovered that the queen bed is actually made of two twin beds attached.

New York City, New...
4. Re: My experience in Morocco

Something else when booking hotels. I would recommend that you book them one night at a time. Don't be afraid that they might not have any rooms available the next day. In Marrakech that's what we did, and the staff at Riad Sherhazade had no problem with that. For example, when we went to Fez, we thought we were staying for two nights and that's what we booked "La Perla" for. After we went around Fez and saw all the major sites, we decided to either go to Tangiers, or Casablanca but the problem was that we had paid for two rooms. We asked the staff if we can cancel the second night (this is on our second day around 3 pm. After negotiating, we only paid half instead of the full price for the second night) So instead of going through the hassle, just book one night at a time.