We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about Poufs...

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ontario
reviews: 7
Question about Poufs...

I've been doing some reading on shopping in Marrakech, and "poufs" have been continually coming up. Is a pouf a leather ottoman? If so, I am wondering exactly how this is a souvenier item...are they collapsable or do you use a service to ship the item back to your home country?

75 replies to this topic
marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 62
1. Re: Question about Poufs...

Hi,

You are correct as to what they are and you buy them unstuffed and stuff them yourself when you get home so they easily fit in your luggage.

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
reviews: 306
2. Re: Question about Poufs...

they lay totally flat, and now i wished i had bought one. a bit overwhelmed when looking to buy. i always have buyers remorse, for the things that i didn't buy!!!

marrakech
reviews: 1
3. Re: Question about Poufs...

First time I visited Marrakech, I thought all those unstuffed poufs were actually dog baskets, for some bizarre reason!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 36
4. Re: Question about Poufs...

I bring a couple of pouffes back most times I go to Morocco. And I'm travelling on a motorbike, but one fits within another, and other things fit inside, so they take practically no space. When you get home stuff them with newspapers.

In the photo below the more expensive coloured ones are 160dh, the cheaper beige/decorated ones are 120dh.

morocco-knowledgebase.net/photos/pouffes.jpg

LONDON
reviews: 19
5. Re: Question about Poufs...

Is there a particularly good area/souk to buy these, or are they all roughly priced around 160 dh for a bigger/expensive one?

I will be spending a day in Essouira, are they cheaper there?

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 36
6. Re: Question about Poufs...

The location probably won't have much bearing on the price other than obviously touristy spots might be more expensive. The starting price you are quoted might be as much as 600dh. But just bear in mind that the average wage in Morocco is 80-100dh per day and you realise that 600dh is laughable.

I have buying stuff for many years from Bazar Rabab, a fixed price place in Ouarzazate and the prices quoted are from there. So this gives you a good indication.

Knowing that 160dh is a good price, if I was buying elsewhere I would start at 140dh and come up very slowly to 145, then 150. This very narrow band of offers shows the shopkeeper that you understand what is a realistic price. If he won't budge walk away at that stage and when they run after you tell them 155dh is your final price, then maybe go with 160dh. If the guy still is talking silly money walk away for real and go and check out some other stands in the souk.

The other shopkeepers will have been watching and know that you are a serious negotiator and you'll get a better deal.

They really pack down small and make great Christmas/birthday presents.

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
reviews: 306
7. Re: Question about Poufs...

tim, will you bring me one back next time!!!

GREAT PICTURES

LONDON
reviews: 19
8. Re: Question about Poufs...

Thanks Tim, great tactics to know! I'm so pleased i read this thread as i was not planning on buying any Pouffes, but they look wonderful and will be a nice memory of my trip.

East Gwillimbury...
reviews: 74
9. Re: Question about Poufs...

Yes, a "pouf" is essentially a leather ottoman. They are made with different qualities of leather (goat, camel, cow), different colours and many have different patterns or even artwork on them. I've picked up several over the years, and they are great!

For a LARGE pouf of **good quality leather** (and some of them are quite large!), sadly, you should be expecting to pay more than 160dh...Sorry.

If you want a low quality one, or a small one, then you will pay a lower price. Haggle hard for everything, of course, but don't expect every vendor to just "roll over" and break down on every item. If you walk away, the vendor may or may not chase after you and that's fine. If you really want one, just keep looking and haggling, and hopefully you can find the one you want for a price that you're willing to pay. You will find many different styles, colours and sizes for sale. Don't stop and buy the first one you see as they are seemingly everywhere...

Good luck!

Edited: 11:02 am, May 12, 2011
marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 62
10. Re: Question about Poufs...

Hi,

I'd agree that you are very unlikely to find a good quality pouf for 160 Dhs but good luck!

Reply to: Question about Poufs...
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted