We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

meet a local Moroccan,and take them to your hotel???

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
meet a local Moroccan,and take them to your hotel???

An an American ( look European,tall,blonde ) GWM,from San Francisco,I was thinking of visitng Marrakech for the first time this Summer. Was planning to stay in a nice Riad instead of one of the large hotels,and was told that if i met a nice local Moroccan, they were not permitted to visit me at my hotel or Riad,as they are not permitted to go with Europeans...

and instead, I would have to rent a local apartment where ther was no one watching my every move.

Has anyone else heard this to be the custom there???

thanks

Hong Kong, China
reviews: 17
1. Re: meet a local Moroccan,and take them to your hotel???

Yes, it certainly is the custom here. No Moroccan can accompany a guest back to their hotel room. This is also the case in almost every other country I've visited - and it has nothing to do with local customs or people watching your every move. It is quite simply a security risk for the hotel to have unregistered "guests". When friends came to visit me in the US, I could not go with them up to their hotel rooms (and I'm American).

2. Re: meet a local Moroccan,and take them to your hotel???

i've had guests visit my hotel room in London,amsterdam,New York,etc., it was never a problem,and they were NEVER stopped at the lobby the way that one young Moroccan guy was when trying to visit a European guy at Sofitel in Morocco...

I don't think it is a security issue at all now that i have spoken to more people. I think the the Moroccans are frowned upon when mixing with the Europeans...

Hong Kong, China
3. Re: meet a local Moroccan,and take them to your hotel???

No, it is a security issue AND it is illegal for a Moroccan to be with a European with a carte des amis. I once tried to join a friend of mine in her room at the Palais Jamaii here in Fes for a nightcap but was refused entrance until I registered...and these people know me.

But with regards to a Moroccan being with a foreigner - in a hotel, in the street, etc - he or she must have a "carte des amis". Im not saying its right, but it is the law.

Hong Kong, China
4. Re: meet a local Moroccan,and take them to your hotel???

sorry, typo in my previous post - it is illegal for a Moroccan to be with a foreigner withOUT a carte des amis.

Kenilworth, United...
reviews: 14
5. Re: meet a local Moroccan,and take them to your hotel???

Hi Fassia

Having read your mail about 'carte des amis'I am surprised.

I am visiting family in Rabat with my husband in June and my Moroccan cousin will be travelling down to see us whilst in Marrakesh.

I am about to book his room in our hotel in our hotel - will this be a problem?

Thanks