We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

single woman in Marrakech

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
western australia
single woman in Marrakech

im a single 30year old women and i want to spend some time wandering around Marrakech, maybe my aunties will join me but probably not. I'll be coming from Australia and so far havent picked anywhere else to go.

So my questions are

1. Will i be safe by myself or do i need to convince someone else to come with me?

2. Im coming from Australia so how long should i have to explore the city and possibly the surrounding areas

Any help will be helpfull

cheers

Sarah

Thornton Cleveleys...
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
reviews: 22
41. Re: single woman in Marrakech

Not quite sure why this has been bumped but seeing as it has been I will take the opportunity to reiterate my previous statements.

I find that I attract almost no hassle whatsoever when I am alone in Marrakech. When I'm with my husband it is always considerably more. A Moroccan friend told me it is probably because they assume I must either live there or, at least know exactly what I am doing - why else would a 33 year old English woman be wandering around by herself? She certainly wouldn't be looking for a henna tattoo or a rug!

Whatever the reason, I feel perfectly safe - and I avoid dark alleys or unknown passageways for exactly the same reason that I avoid them at home. Because it is the sensible thing to do and because I take personal responsibility for my own safety- not because I think muggers and rapists are lurking around every corner.

My husband is not a big fan of the central medina at night due to the general level of noise and bustle. So if he wants to stay in and read, that's what he does and I walk down to the square by myself and get some dinner and I'll pick up something to take back to him. He's no more worried about my safety than if I were on a night out in Blackpool - actually he'd never let me go out alone in the centre of Blackpool at night.

Maybe I'm just not pretty enough to attract the amount of unwanted male attention other women have experienced or maybe I just don't notice or take it seriously.

Any visitor, male or female, can feel uncomfortable in a strange country and I do feel sorry for anyone who has had an unpleasant trip because of that. I just wanted to point out again that the PERCEIVED risk of danger is far, far greater than the ACTUAL physical risk.

Attitude is everything - if someone shouts "salut la gazelle!" just smile, thank them and feel smug that you received a compliment. Don't take it as sexual harassment.

Marrakech, Morocco
reviews: 55
42. Re: single woman in Marrakech

The thread has been bumped as Marrakesh_Mike has been resurrecting old posts which have already been answered and often appear in the "Top questions about..." column.

43. Re: single woman in Marrakech

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, June 06, 2014