We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

single woman in Marrakech

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
western australia
single woman in Marrakech

im a single 30year old women and i want to spend some time wandering around Marrakech, maybe my aunties will join me but probably not. I'll be coming from Australia and so far havent picked anywhere else to go.

So my questions are

1. Will i be safe by myself or do i need to convince someone else to come with me?

2. Im coming from Australia so how long should i have to explore the city and possibly the surrounding areas

Any help will be helpfull

cheers

Sarah

Kathmandu, Nepal
reviews: 36
1. Re: single woman in Marrakech

You will be quite safe to explore Marrakesh on your own just use common sense and if you need help in terms of directions ask the shop keepers. Three days enable you to explore Marrakesh without rushing. You could then do an overnight trip to Essaouira or day trips to the Atlas Mountains (Imlil or Ourika) or Cascades d'Ouzoud. There is also the option of a 3 day/2 night trip to the desert. I would suggest a week or 10 days around Marrakesh but if you want to explore other areas of Morocco, 2 or 3 weeks is better, especially since it is such a long way to come from Australia.

London
reviews: 103
2. Re: single woman in Marrakech

I'm a solo traveller from London in middle '20 and I have just come back from holidays in Marrakech. I felt absolutely safe although I got lots of attention from men. On every corner they were asking how I am and where I am from. I suggest you dress sensibly, no boobie tops (I've made this mistake my first evening). The best area to stay in the city would be Hivernage or Gueliz. It is far from the Medina noise and hassle, but still close enough to walk there or pay some small amount for a cab. Be careful with petite cabs tho, as the drivers often don't speak English and will try to charge you like 5 times more. I have put a post 'after the trip' where you can find more. I was there for 6 days, and spent it all discovering the city. Believe me, there is lots to discover, so if you would like to also make a trip to the Atlas Mountains or Sahara, I suggest a few more days. Especially that you have such a long way from Australia. If you have any questions, you can always msg me.

Marrakech, Morocco
reviews: 17
3. Re: single woman in Marrakech

I have to disagree with previous poster regarding where you stay. You should not go to Marrakech without staying in a riad, there are lots in very safe and central locations. Many female travellers stay in riads and feel perfectly safe. You will have the added benefit of a more personal service from the riad staff as well.

NJ
reviews: 2
4. Re: single woman in Marrakech

Thank you for the assurance about solo travel. I'm looking at a week there on Feb. 20th and will look for your trip report. You can email me more detailed wise suggestions.

London
reviews: 103
5. Re: single woman in Marrakech

It depends on what you like. The more personal treatment you may get in a riad looked like being constantly watched to my 2 friends. Also after a whole day of noise and thousands of people around you, it's nice to actually be in much quieter place. But I have also met people who had a fabulous experience in their riads, so as I said... it all depends :-)

NJ
reviews: 2
6. Re: single woman in Marrakech

My flights arrive and depart Casablanca. I need a driver from airport to Fes where I'd stay for 4 nights just chilling and walking around on my own.

Then I'll need a driver from Fes to Marrakech where I'll stay another 4 nights doing the same.

On the day of my flight that leaves 12:25 pm, I'm going to need a ride from Marrakech to Casablanca.

What's the best way to go about finding reliable drivers on these separate occasions and locations? I tried contacting a guide recommended in the forum, but they want to be contracted for the entire week and keep me busy with their own tour agenda and sightseeing. (I'll feel like I'm babysitting someone!)

Thanks for your bright ideas and wisdom!

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 60
7. Re: single woman in Marrakech

Hi,

Ask your hotel or riad to arrange drivers for you, they will have their own trusted contacts.

UK
reviews: 26
8. Re: single woman in Marrakech

Hi

I've just come back from Morocco as a single femaile traveller and I took the Supratours bus from Marrakech to Merzouga and it was great fun. It even gave me opportunity to chat with people which was great. It was cheap (200MAD), they took your luggage (5MAD) and I will definately be using the bus again when I next go. I was a little apprehensive before I caught the bus (no idea why as I have used public transport on my own before) but I found the drivers to be really helpful and at least there is safety in numbers :) If you are not sure about getting a reliable driver maybe consider using Supratours.

Have a great holiday :)

9. Re: single woman in Marrakech

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 6:05 pm, February 28, 2011
10. Re: single woman in Marrakech

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 5:05 am, July 12, 2011