We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clothing for female travellers in Marrakesh etc

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
reviews: 19
Clothing for female travellers in Marrakesh etc

Hello all,

Could anyone please clarify whether it is acceptable to wear spaghetti strap vest tops/strapless tops in Marrakesh? Wewill be visiting the normal places i.e the medina etc & We would hate to offend anyone but have been told by someone its unacceptable to show shoulders & knees, are cropped trousers below the knee acceptable or are ankles a problem too?

We will also be travelling to the asni valley & lmlil, essaouira & the Ourika valley & visiting villages, I assume these will be strict areas too? Thank you :-)

91 replies to this topic
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 36
71. Re: Clothing for female travellers in Marrakesh etc

Warm clothes!!!!!

Sheffield, United...
reviews: 21
72. Re: Clothing for female travellers in Marrakesh etc

Lots of advice on this forum on suitable clothes for travel Just use good common sense about the areas you plan to visit and realise that in the mountain region during a North African winter the nights will obviously be cold.

London, United...
reviews: 1
73. Re: Clothing for female travellers in Marrakesh etc

Hi

Can You advise what the weather is like in Marrakech at the moment please, for day & night?

My friend & I are visiting next month with our husbands & we are trying to plan our wardrobes.

Many thanks

Sarah

norfolk
reviews: 30
74. Re: Clothing for female travellers in Marrakesh etc

wunderground.com/cgi-bin/…

check this site nearer the time. it is very acurate. and knowing today's weather is no earthly use for judging what to pack next month!

last week i was in my garden in norfolk in a t shirt. today we have 3 inches of snow.

pam

Sheffield, United...
reviews: 21
75. Re: Clothing for female travellers in Marrakesh etc

Today in Marrakech there was a frost in the morning but by 11 am beautiful sun to warm any heart and the blue sky was the clearest you could find.

But as your trip is next month plenty of time to get all the weather info for that time of year..... but always be prepared for extremes then you can rest easy maybe!!

Edited: 4:04 pm, January 15, 2013
Marrakech, Morocco
reviews: 1
76. Re: Clothing for female travellers in Marrakesh etc

Morocco is an Islamic country which welcomes tourists who are sensitive to local tradition. Shorts and short sleeve tops are fine as long as they are not too revealing. It is not sensible for women to wear clothes that reveal too much cleavage or the waist line. More discretion is required during the holy festival of Ramadan.

Berks County, PA
reviews: 89
77. Re: Clothing for female travellers in Marrakesh etc

We were in Marrakech last July and saw lots of different types of clothing on the tourists. I would say that you can wear whatever makes you comfortable, but if you bare your shoulders and knees, you will get looks and stares by the locals. To respect the culture, you should keep your shoulders covered. Shorts that show your knees are fine, but not short-shorts. Marrakech sounds like the most progressive of the towns you are visiting. The deeper into the country we went, the more conservative the dress of the locals and the more stares the locals gave those who were baring too much skin. Girls in my group did wear camis and running shorts and they did get looks. To be most comfortable, I suggest covering your shoulders and wearing at least thigh length skirts and shorts. Showing ankles was not a problem or did not garner looks from anyone in my group.

marrakech
78. Re: Clothing for female travellers in Marrakesh etc

hi how ae u doing ? u can wear whatever u like. it is really unacceptable for our women to do that but they do it. since ur a foreigner nobody is gonna criticize u cos they already now that u wear that kind of clothes in ur country. hope to talk o u soon

Stockholm, Sweden
79. Re: Clothing for female travellers in Marrakesh etc

I went to Marrakech in October and had no problem wearing flowy summer-dresses with legs and knees showing, or a long dress with shoulders and arms showing. Not a single person was rude or inapproriate (no sexual remarks), not even when walking just me and my female friend at night from the medina. They didn't stare either.

The only thing that" happened" was that a few young men called us "beautiful Lady Gaga" and "snow white", or said "bonjour" to us, in friendly manners. Basically, as a young woman in Marrakech, I felt completely comfortable with some skin showing, walking around in the medina, into small shops etc. No one touched you or anything like that.

Oregon
reviews: 65
80. Re: Clothing for female travellers in Marrakesh etc

Hello,

I can understand your dilemma. We have been to Morocco, including Marrakech. The best advice is to be more conservative than not. Thin straps are not a good idea. I had a long scarf in my bag that I could throw around my shoulders when necessary - visiting any type of religious buildings, or other hallowed ancient sites/structures/museums, etc. Flip flops are not only uncomfortable on the stones, but also not appropriate.

I also had a skirt that was in my small pack just in case it was needed for a visit to a shrine or other hallowed place. If you are going out in the desert on a tour, you can be much more casual, but still keep arms covered. We had a guide and driver for a 3 day excursion in the desert and it was the highlight of the trip. I'll never forget it.

Reply to: Clothing for female travellers in Marrakesh etc
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted