We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

winter in Marrakesh/mountains/sahara/any desert!

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Henfield.Sussex...
reviews: 4
winter in Marrakesh/mountains/sahara/any desert!

We fly to Marrakesh on Dec 21 & will be travelling around Morocco for a week-hoping to be in Essaouira for the last few days. Xmas is a sad time for us so we need to keep busy! I would love to travel to Imlil but am anxious about the roads/mountain passes & if they are icy-we will use public transport/taxis. I was also thinking of getting to the Sahara-- or Ouarzazate- but dont you have to pass over the Atlas mountains? will it be too cold to stay in a berber tent? We would really love to do that. Are there any areas of interest for a few days visit not too far from of Marrakesh- without going on icy passes? Any Ideas would be great!

Stockholm, Sweden
reviews: 64
1. Re: winter in Marrakesh/mountains/sahara/any desert!

Hi,

if you will stay only one week you have not so much time to go to Sahara, maybe to Ouarzazate only but there Sahara begin so you will not explore much of that.

Better to go in this case to Essaouira after some days in Marrakech and i possible for the snow so to Imlil.

To stay a berber tent it is maybe a little cold in Atlas. Not in Sahara there it is possible and you have blanket so you not will have cold. But as I write, it is long to go, so...

From Marrakech you can also go to Cascades d'Ouzoud, it is 190km so it is not so long.

Have a nice travel in any case.

2. Re: winter in Marrakesh/mountains/sahara/any desert!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 4:05 pm, May 27, 2010
paris
reviews: 6
3. Re: winter in Marrakesh/mountains/sahara/any desert!

Imlil will be cold at this time, probably snow so make sure you stay in a comfortable place that has heating! The desert though hot in the day gets down to 0° at night and you are sleeping in a tent. I stayed overnight in January in a tent in the dunes beyong Mhamid (after Zagora) it was fine fully clothed and with so many blankets that it was impossible to move in the bed but only for 1 night literally for the experience. Check that the place you are staying in Essaouira has some heating too, it can be chilly and with cold damp wind there at night at this time of year

Henfield.Sussex...
4. Re: winter in Marrakesh/mountains/sahara/any desert!

thank you for that information - I shall look up the cascades De Ouzoud

Henfield.Sussex...
5. Re: winter in Marrakesh/mountains/sahara/any desert!

Do you think it would be too much travelling to get to the desert & back in 3-4 days - with one night in a riad, next night in a berber tent, last night in a riad somewhere along the way?

paris
reviews: 6
6. Re: winter in Marrakesh/mountains/sahara/any desert!

This is possible. There are lots of travel agencies that organise Sahara expeditions 2 nights/ 3 days with 1 overnight in hotel and 1 night bivouac at very good rates. Concerning Ouzoud I was there end November last year , there is not a huge choice of accommodation, none of them seem to have any heating and it was very chilly at night. By the way 1 night there is enough at that time of the year

morocco
7. Re: winter in Marrakesh/mountains/sahara/any desert!

if u only have one week you will not be able to see what u have planned

maybe pick the Sahara only leave from Marrakesh Quarzazate then on to M'hamid Erg Chegaga Ait Ben haddou back to Marrakesh this can be achieved in a week nicely

Valencia, Spain
8. Re: winter in Marrakesh/mountains/sahara/any desert!

Of course it is possible to do this route in 3-4 days (4 better than 3). I also recommend you to arrange it with a local agency, there are many who organize this type of routes and will be easier, they put the transportation, chauffeur ... and you don´t have to worry about the state of the roads. It is winter and cold, but the experience of the desert worth it and as it has already be said, there are many blankets in the tents, and if you dress properly you shouln´t have problem. In fact, many people go to spend New Year's Eve in the desert, I did some years ago and I have never in my life seen such a fabulous sky as the night we spent in the desert.

merzouga
9. Re: winter in Marrakesh/mountains/sahara/any desert!

Hi, to spend the night on December in the desert you don't have troubles, as we have a lot of blankets to furnish to tourist. In the South the weather will be warm during the day and a bit cold in the night, as usual in the desert. But you will discover the red sand of the Erg Chebbi in Merzouga, changing colours during the sunset or the sunrise in the early morning. You will enjoy a traditional dinner, listenig the Berber music, and watching millions and millions of stars from the dunes.

So I suggest to not skip the experience to ride the camel and spend a night in the desert.

Regards

Henfield.Sussex...
10. Re: winter in Marrakesh/mountains/sahara/any desert!

Many thanks for that info! I will take your advice & go for it. I cant wait!

Get answers to your questions about Marrakech