We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overnight Tangier to Marrakech

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Costa del Sol
reviews: 9
Overnight Tangier to Marrakech

My wife and I are looking to go on this train at the end of October. Looking on the ONCF site it seems there are private compartments for two available, assuming you have a 1st class ticket. Can anyone tell me how much the supplement would be to travel in a voiture lit for two people?

I can't find anywhere to reserve tickets, is this possible by telephone or by internet? We live in Spain. Thanks! Alan

1. Re: Overnight Tangier to Marrakech

There are no sleeper compartments on the night train from Tangier to Marrakech, only couchettes. "Voitures-lit" are only available on the Oujda to Casablanca overnight.

A couchette supplement is around 90 dirham, or US$9.

Couchettes (and sleepers) can not be reserved from abroad, not online and not by phone.

More about train travel in Morocco:

triotours.com/faq/ma/travel-around-train.htm

Costa del Sol
reviews: 9
2. Re: Overnight Tangier to Marrakech

Hi dysfunctional, thanks for that info. Looking at that website it would be appear that there are only couchettes Tangier to Marrakech but voiture lits as well as couchettes on the reverse trip?

In any case we have decided to go during the day on the way south and hope that we can reserve couchettes on the way back north. It is very inconvenient that we are unable to book from outside of Morocco and I am sure that most travellers feel the same way.

You can't tell us the name, number or e-mail address of a travel agent in Morocco who would be able to reserve us tickets by phone, paying with a credit card perhaps, or maybe they don't sell train tickets either?

3. Re: Overnight Tangier to Marrakech

"Looking at that website it would be appear that there are only couchettes Tangier to Marrakech but voiture lits as well as couchettes on the reverse trip?"

Well done, you've spotted a nasty typo on that page! I'll change that asap. Sleepers are only available on the Oujda to Casablanca and vice versa overnight.

"You can't tell us the name, number or e-mail address of a travel agent in Morocco who would be able to reserve us tickets by phone, paying with a credit card perhaps, or maybe they don't sell train tickets either?"

A number of poster's on Lonely Planet's Thorn Tree have tried the local travel agent route. No company would provide that service. I guess it's just too much hassle for them. Even when you guarantee payment by credit card, there would be the risk of you not finding the office, missing your train, and then wanting your money back.

The good news is that the Moroccan railway company ONCF is investing massively in IT infrastructure, so online booking may become possible in the future.