We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

desert trip from Marrakech

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
newcastle uk
desert trip from Marrakech

Hi We are going to Marrakech next April .We want to go into the desert for a short trip ( 2 days ) with short camel trek .Any ideas of where to go ? Who to arrange this with ? Likely costs We are a family of two parents and two teenagers .Thanks for your help

1. Re: desert trip from Marrakech

A very popular place to buy such a tour is Hotel Ali, just around the corner from Djemma El Fnaa square.

You'll find more tour operators everywhere, particularly on boulevard Mohammed V, near the intersection with boulevard Mohammed Zerktouni.

Basic tours start at around 300 dirham (US$30) per person per day. That price should include transportation, food, lodging in a nomad tent and the camel. For some bizarre reason, tour operators always exclude water from that price. A large bottle is only around US$0.50, though.

Grafton Australia
reviews: 21
2. Re: desert trip from Marrakech

I know Mustapha at the Grand Tazi Hotel (near the square) arranges these. He did one for us to the mountains on our first trip and I read his customer book which included many reccommendations for his desert trips. I am sorry but I dont know the figure.

newcastle uk
3. Re: desert trip from Marrakech

Thanks for the help .I have strated to get itineraries and costs .Can't contact Hotel Ali for some reason .

Does anyone know whether it makes any difference if the camel trip starts at Merzouga or Zagora ?

Also is it worth an extra day in a tight schedule to vist Todra Gorge .Mel

4. Re: desert trip from Marrakech

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:37 am, June 18, 2006
Texas
5. Re: desert trip from Marrakech

The Dadès gorge has many local fortified villages (kasbahs), and the Draa valley is lined with one of the nicest palm groves.This beautiful landscape is worth visiting in itself and is a odd example of the habitats to be found in the valleys of the southern foothills of the High Atlas. Getting There Access to the valleys starts from the towns of Boumalne du Dades and Tinerhir. The two towns can be reached by bus but a car is really necessary to explore the area. The gorges can be reached by taxi but their prices can be exorbitant for tourists.Strategy The best time to visit the lower valleys is from March to May and the mountains are best from May to July .It is worth spending at least two days here. One day should be spent in the palm-groves and in the Todra gorge and the other exploring the Dades valley.

the dunes at Merzouga are significantly more impressive than those at Mhamid, and spending a night or two at the foot of these dunes can be a refreshing and quiet experience.

Camel rides are 'exotic', though most people get a little bored after a half an hour or so. Walking, running, rolling and tumbling in the dunes is significantly more amusing!occasionaly,you can book with these people in complete confidence(e-mail :omar@whitecamel.com),they greatly enhance the trip for you.

The Moroccan South is a land of contradictions (more so than the North) as it mixes traditional lifestyle with advanced forms of tourism.

newcastle uk
6. Re: desert trip from Marrakech

Hi . thanks for the ideas . I must be doing something wrong though ! So far a trip for four people from Marrakech to Zagora , camel trip and night in desert is priced at £472 from one company and 545 Euros from another for the round trip from Marrakech and overnight .This is a lot more than I expected ! I haven't had a reply from Hotel Ali yet so I;m hoping this might be more reasonable .Who else should I get an estimate from ? Mel

Morocco and Spain
reviews: 1
7. Re: desert trip from Marrakech

Bear in mind, the quotes you have now probably provide privatedriver/guide for you. Hotel Ali has a larger bus- about 15 person but I may be wrong on that.

Since there sre 4 of you, I think that is a fair price for 3 days

newcastle uk
8. Re: desert trip from Marrakech

Hi Blue men , The prices I have been given are for two nights , they seem expensive .Mel

Dublin, Ireland
reviews: 6
9. Re: desert trip from Marrakech

Hi, I've been looking into this a bit for myself next year too, I'm planning on Merzouga as I've already been to Zagora. Places offering accommodation in Merzouga offer trips, camel rides, 4 x 4 drives, overnights in berber tents etc have a look at www.responsibletravel.com morocco accommodation listings, the kasbah in Merzouga listed there offers trips as does www.aubergedusud.com in Merzouga. They both offer transfers from Marrakesh, not sure of the total cost as we plan to get a transfer to Todra first and then on to Merzouga. I think you'll find it cheaper than what you've been quoted.

Cancun
10. Re: desert trip from Marrakech

Hi Imission, My wife and I just got back from 21 days in Morocco and we had the pleasure of doing a 3 day desert trek. The people who put our excursion together was bluemen of morocco. I have to say that bluemen did a super job, they really took care of us and made sure that we had a good time and also the knowledge of thier guides and friendlyness made the trip that much more enjoyable. Thanks bluemen you guys are my heros. Go with bluemen you wont be disappointed