We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marrakech at your own pace!??

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, UK
reviews: 3
Marrakech at your own pace!??

Myself and my wife are considering visting Marrakech for 3 to 4 days in the next couple of weeks. I have read various articles about the City which obviously present it as a fantastic experience. However when we visit a town we like to wander around and take in the sights at our own pace, etc. Can you realistically do this in Marrakech?? Can you visit the souks, etc without being besieged, etc?? Do you really have to take a guide to the key attractions?? Outside of Dubai we haven't visited North Africa/Middle East, and I know the cultural difference is very much part of the attraction, but I'm just trying to get some perspective on whether you can take in the City totally on your own terms, and feel relaxed doing so!!

UK
reviews: 2
1. Re: Marrakech at your own pace!??

Hi

My advice would be to get a good guide book,work out which of the attractions you want to see, and plan an itinerary from there. I wouldn't plan more than a couple of things for each day or you will begin to feel rushed.

(personal opinion - the Saadian tombs weren't all that spectacular, but Majorelle gardens were certainly worth the trip).

Getting lost in the souks is my favourite pastime in Marrakech, and there are always bemused locals and plenty of petit taxis to help you get back to somewhere more familiar. If you want to compare prices, the fixed price artisanal collectives are usually a fairly reliable benchmark, and you can then arm yourselves for a good haggle in the medina.

Enjoy

London, UK
reviews: 3
2. Re: Marrakech at your own pace!??

I agree - don't hire a guide but do take a good book. We found the Time Out Guide to Marrakech very good.

Do expect a fair bit of hassle though - people want your money, wherever you are. I guess that's how you pay for the cultural experience. But walk fairly fast in the souks and main square and it halves the hassle!