We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental car question

Which Fes hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sanibel Island...
reviews: 28
Rental car question

We plan to drive from Fes to Marrakech. We'll have 4 adults each with a carry-on suitcase and backpacks. Not familiar with European cars.. What would be the best size car (we would like a boot to be able to store suitcases out of sight.

Also, are there good rental companies that are more economical and allow the one way hire?

Jerez de la Frontera
Destination Expert
for Fes
reviews: 6
1. Re: Rental car question

There's a decent local rental company in the new town called Classic Car. I rented a Kia Sorento (a 4x4 vehicle) that would be big enough for 4 passengers and your luggage, otherwise you might look at a mini-van, like a Peugeot 806. Even the local companies will allow you one way hire, but you will pay a fair amount more for it. Also bear in mind that some local companies may ask to block excessive amounts on your credit card as a guarantee. The above mentioned company allows offers cars with drivers which for my money would be a better bet if you really want to drive.

You're not asking advice to this regard but I should mention just in case, that if you are just trying to get from Fez to Marrakech without doing a much larger loop to see other things, you're far better off just getting first class seats on one of the many trains that makes the trip between the two.

Casablanca
2. Re: Rental car question

You can hire a Dacia Car is a family car, that most of the travellers use in Morocco, as it's a bit large one and can suit you, for the Rental Car companies, there is so many in Fes, as i advice you can just wait until Fes then bargain yourself to get the best one suits your pocket.

Many of them asking for much online, but once you are there you can take it with the price you need.

Happy Travels.

Sanibel Island...
3. Re: Rental car question

Thanks for the advice! We are trying to figure the best way to see Fes, Erg Chebbi, and Marrakech over a 10 day period. We start and end in Rabat so I thought it best to do a loop- train to Fes, drive to the desert and Marrakech and then the train back to Rabat.

Channo- I am sorry that I didn't quite understand.. are you saying that Classic Cars also arranges cars with drivers? We would like to make a number of stops along the way so I usually like the flexibility of self-driving. Any particular reason I should have a driver? Also as I have never hired one before.. do they take care of their own lodging on the way or is that something I have to arrange for?

Casablanca
4. Re: Rental car question

the Car Rental Companies, don't hire cars with drivers, so you will need to drive yourself, for the companies who could hire you the car/with the driver are the Tour companies, so for 10 days You have so much to see you on your way, just to make your desert trip slow, and don't rush as an advice is to make 4 days minimum, from Fes via the desert of the Erg Chebbi toMarrakech.

Happy Travels and safe route.

Stockholm, Sweden
reviews: 40
5. Re: Rental car question

You not need to have driver in Morocco, the roads are good signed so if you have a map you cannot go lost. And as you say, you are much more flexible of self-driving.

I was several times in Morocco and even the first time (already year 2000) I only rented the car and it was without problem.

Try only to make your itinerary not so tight, driving is slowly, don't drive when it is dark and follow the rules because the police are on the way and make controls.

Jerez de la Frontera
Destination Expert
for Fes
reviews: 6
6. Re: Rental car question

I think it comes down to preference and what your budget will allow. This particular rental company in Fes I mentioned, does in fact rent vehicles with a driver, the prices quoted include the driver taking care of their own accommodation and meals. You still have the flexibility of stopping wherever strikes your fancy. They aren't tour guides but can be very valuable in that they save you time from getting lost and you don't have to deal with the ocassional pitfalls that occur (being stopped by the police for a made up "speeding" ticket that has to be paid on the spot). Even without being a tour guide in the strict sense they will be able to show you stops you probably wouldn't have made on your own for the simple reason that often times there isn't signage telling you when something interesting is worth stopping for. Sure you can drive yourselves but get a quote for a driver as well, you may find it to be very reasonable.

It's true what Khamlia says, you don't need a driver in Morocco, but for people not accustomed to how people drive here it can be a bit harrowing and stressful the first time, and it may end up giving more value to your trip.

Balmain, Australia
7. Re: Rental car question

Hello Chano. I wondering if you wouldn't mind providing me with some comments, suggestions, advice on our proposed travel from Fes to Marrakech. I like the idea of hiring a car, driver. There will be 2 of us where we want flexibility with our travel.

OverNight

Fez: 2 days in Fes

Meknes Drive from Fez to Mekness for overnight then up early to do day trip to Volubilis, Moulay Idriss Zerhoun, then drive to Azrou or Midelt..not sure if Midelt would be too far after a day in Meknes, Volubilis?

The drive from Midelt (or Azrou) to Dades Gorge, over night at Dades... not sure if this is big drive- can we spend time at Dades Gorge on this afternoon?

Dades to AIt Bin Haddo. Overnight a Ait Bin Haddo. Then onto Marrakech the next day.

Thank you in advance for your guidance

Balmain, Australia
8. Re: Rental car question

Oh another question : would you have contact details for the Classic Car rental company it didn't come up in a search..Thanks

Stockholm, Sweden
reviews: 40
9. Re: Rental car question

It is more to see in Azrou while in Midelt it is nothing to see.

But from Midelt to Boumalne (Dades) for example it is one day trip while from Azrou it is a little to far so you need to stay overnight somewhere before arriving to Boumalne.

In any case you cannot do the trip to Volubilis, Moulay Idriss Zerhoun and then drive to Azrou or Midelt at the same day. Maybe to Azrou but ???

Edited: 5:02 am, February 17, 2013
Balmain, Australia
10. Re: Rental car question

ok thanks have adjusted itinerary based on your feedback - so thank you. Am still interested in hearing about the car hire plus driver vs a tour company! Thanks