We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety in Fez Medina

Which Fes hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Barcelona, Spain
reviews: 36
Safety in Fez Medina

Hello, I have a reservation in a very nice riad inside the Medina, but I have read that Fez is not as safe as Marrakesh,. Is that true?

Is it safe to walkd down the Medida in the afternoon of early at night or it is better to find a hotel in the new part of the city?

Thanks for your answers

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 39
1. Re: Safety in Fez Medina

Nowhere is guaranteed but I lived in Fez for eight weeks when studying and never experienced any problems. Less hassle than Marrakech.

Google for 'View from Fez' for current events.

Barcelona, Spain
reviews: 36
2. Re: Safety in Fez Medina

thanks for your answer!

Columbus, Georgia
reviews: 4
3. Re: Safety in Fez Medina

I just returned from a 2-day stay in Fez and never felt unsafe. We walked with a guide on the first half of the first day and the next day rambled by ourselves. Only once did we have a bit of concern when we became lost in one of the 9,000 streets in the medina. We were approached by two teen agers who offered to be our guides. At first we refused and then accepted. They had to ask directions from others as to the location of our riad, but eventually led us to it. Reading reviews, I fully expected to pay for their help, but they refused. I insisted they take some money, and they were humbled and said welcome to Morocco. Great kids. The only fear of safety was in our own minds. I say, go with confidence.

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 53
4. Re: Safety in Fez Medina

We stayed recently in a riad in the medina and were warned both by our driver and the riad that it was not safe to go into the medina alone at night, and that there were no police. This appeared to be mainly a safety concern rather than getting lost, though I am pretty sure we may have got lost too. We were absolutely fine with a guide the next day but we did feel a bit "imprisoned" that first night.

Ouarzazate, Morocco
reviews: 7
5. Re: Safety in Fez Medina

Hi

I lived in Fez for 2 years and never felt unsafe. I would also say that there is more "small" crimes like handbag thieves than anywhere else in Morocco, but it is still much safer than most European or American big cities. To walk alone in the medina during the day and early evening is fine. Late at night as a tourist I would avoid.

Be cautious but not afraid!

Have a great stay.

Jerez de la Frontera
Destination Expert
for Fes
reviews: 6
6. Re: Safety in Fez Medina

I don't think you're going to have any problems, but it is better to not be out wandering around alone at night after most people are in (in winter after 9 or 10). Also, as a mere precautionary measure, I would not withdraw cash from an ATM that is out on the street in full view in the medina, better to use a machine that is located inside the bank or withdraw cash from a machine in the new town.

Graz, Austria
reviews: 8
7. Re: Safety in Fez Medina

Hello!

me and my boyfriend we are planning to visit Fes, and if we decide to go there from Marakkech, the option is to take the night train( not to loose day time) that arrives in Fes train station 2 .a.m! what would you recommend to do in such a situation to avoid any dangerous situation? is staying in the station until the dusk safe? are they any bars open? any others suggestions highly appreciated!

thank you!

Agata

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 39
8. Re: Safety in Fez Medina

Even if you hang about for 6 hours until 8am you probably won't be able to check into a hotel until after lunchtime, and you don't want to be looking after your gear all this time.

There's bound to be a few petit taxis waiting for the train, so arrange a hotel for that night and take a taxi.

No to bars at 2am, unless you want to be fending off amorous sozzleheads.

Graz, Austria
reviews: 8
9. Re: Safety in Fez Medina

Hello!

thank you so much for your reply. it sounds quite reasonable. the only thing i am wondering about now is: is it common for hotels/ guesthouses in morroco to check in people at 2 a.m?

best regards,

Agata

10. Re: Safety in Fez Medina

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 9:14 am, October 28, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Fes