We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One week trip starting and finishing at Fes - Itineraries?

Which Fes hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Paris...
reviews: 5
One week trip starting and finishing at Fes - Itineraries?

Hello All!

I decided to use some time free to do a short-break, me and a mate bought a ticket from Paris to Fes in a Easyjet flight, arriving on the 16th February (Thursday) and flying back on the 23rd February (Thursday).

Basically I would really appreciate any ideas and help in building my itinerary in Morocco. Meaning: which other city should I visit? Should I definitely not miss at all Meknes and include a 2-3 day trip to Marrakesh? I am aware that the train trip Fes-Marrakesh is a considerable 7-8 hours trip and I have been wondering in arriving in Fes, spending 3 days getting to know well the city, taking a night train to Marrakesh, spending 2-3 days there and getting back to Fes in another night train - way too ambitious plan or completely feasible? Or should I give up from Marrakesh in this trip, include a close trip to Rabat or Casablanca (or any other interesting destination) and leave the great gem of Moroccan tourism for another trip altogether?

Important things to consider:

I really want to get a feel on the places I will visit. After doing the classical "5 Eastern Europe Capital in one week" type of trips that you basically do the list of 5 top landmarks of a place and hop back to the car to see the next city, I feel more like enjoying well what a place has to offer rather than hurrying to get a fast sight of an entire country in a such short trip. I feel like the kind of trip that you can afford some time of sitting in a café and just seeing people talking a completely foreign language, you understand?

Even if I am not in the completely in backpacker budget kind of trip, I am not really that far from it. :D Meaning: any trip inside of Morocco I would have to make could not happen by flying but using affordable transportation. (Train connections seems to be quite good and reliable in Morocco, am I right?)

Really enjoy history and architecture, so even a trip to Casablanca (that, according to what I read here, is considered way less touristically interesting that Rabat, Essaouira and definitely Marrakesh) seems interesting.

Also would find interesting the kind "Really cool, interesting, historical small Moroccan city" stay.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance (and anybody interested in Rio de Janeiro advices back would be more than welcome! :D),

Fernando.

East Gwillimbury...
reviews: 74
1. Re: One week trip starting and finishing at Fes - Itineraries?

Welcome to the Forums, Fernando!

My thoughts? Fes and Marrakech are both awesome, so choose 1 this time and plan to see the other on another trip. This time, (since you like history and architecture AND since you're already there) see Fes, Meknes, Moulay Idriss, Volubilis and area, with maybe a day trip to Casa/Rabat on the train (very cheap) if you really want to see something there.

You certainly *can* see both Fes and Marrakech with the time you have - 3 days each with a train ride in between. But with only 3 days in each, getting to see places like the ones above will make things feel rushed, IMO.

Trains, busses and taxis are very affordable in Morocco, so getting between places is not a problem. Stay in riads if you can. Affordable riads are everywhere, but my advice is to plan (and maybe even book ahead of time) as many can be hard to find in cities.

cheers

2. Re: One week trip starting and finishing at Fes - Itineraries?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:30 am, January 31, 2013