We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

We came to Casablanca

Which Casablanca hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
England
reviews: 37
We came to Casablanca

This is part of a longer trip report involving other places. If you want to see the whole thing go to the cruise forum

Wednesday 8th Jan.

Casablanca. We hadn’t booked an excursion as we wanted to do our own thing. We were up at 7 to see the arrival. After breakfast we used the free shuttle to United Nations Square. Fended off a few touts then walked to the Mosque, which took about 40 mins. Timed it right for a guided tour (12 Euro), at 1100. The Mosque is magnificent, and much more impressive than the one in my home town. Then headed back towards town via a naval base. There had been a passing out ceremony and there were lots of hunky sailors milling about. Arrived at Ricks Cafe. It’s a nice place for a relaxing drink. The film was playing on the big screen. The coffee was a bit overpriced, but you’re paying for the ambience. We then dropped on an old fort which had been converted into a restaurant and was very nice. Walked past the old Medina but didn’t go in. Back at UN square we had another coffee and watched the coming and goings. We then jumped on the Casatramway. Very impressed by this. For just over £1.00 we took a 30 min trip south, west then north to a beach. Passed through various areas, including a shanty town. A large area is being developed. The roads are in. At the end we came to some fairly upmarket villas. The beach wasn’t particularly nice but it was interesting seeing lots of people demonstrated good ball skills. Less nice was a young lad who seemed to enjoy whipping a small pony. I was going to remonstrate but SWMBO said Leave It. On the return we got off a couple of stops before UN Square and walked the rest. It was interesting. We were going to visit Habous, but were so knackered that we got the shuttle back to the ship. I have to accept I don’t have the stamina I used to have.

We quite liked Casablanca. We had an early dinner then watched Une Vie D’amour with Aurelie Mignon and Dimitri Chackalov. Very theatrical and skilful trapeeze act. The ship was leaving late to allow the people who went to Marakesh or Rabat time to get back, so we sat and listened to Pablo in Champagne Charlies bar. It was nice watching leaving of Casa.

2 replies to this topic
Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 64
1. Re: We came to Casablanca

thanks for the feedback - glad you enjoyed your day

the fort/restaurant is probably La Sqala: tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g293732-…

the tramway out to the beach is a good way to see a lot of the city for very little money and effort - shame you didnt make it to the Habbous, it is a bit out of the way but well worth a look

England
reviews: 37
2. Re: We came to Casablanca

Thanks

Yes LaSqala. That was it. Very nice place

Reply to: We came to Casablanca
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted