We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving in Morocco

Which Agadir hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kingston-upon-Hull...
reviews: 1
driving in Morocco

having driven in Spain and Italy , how does driving compare in Morocco ?

New York,USA
1. Re: driving in Morocco

From what we witnessed driving is a bit easier outside of the cities while I don't think I would risk driving in Casablanca ,Fes or Marrakesh.

Stockholm, Sweden
reviews: 45
2. Re: driving in Morocco

It is not so much difference between driving, it is quite easy outside the cities. By only aware of donkeys and camels, people and children of course. And bicyclist, most students :).

Casablanca
3. Re: driving in Morocco

There is places where it's so much hard to drive like inside the Cities, In Casablanca there is so much hectic and so crazy traffic by Cars, in the south there is donkeys and animals on the way to watch out from, and in Marrakech the Motobikes makes it so much harder and can not go well.

Little experience will be fine, so outside the Cities it's much easier.

Have fun and enjoy Morocco.

London
reviews: 78
4. Re: driving in Morocco

We have just driven 2500km from Essaouira, Marrakech, High Atlas, Skoura, Erfoud, Chefchaouen and Casablanca. We did it in the cheapest hire car you can imagine (Dacia Dokker). The weather was dry. We never off-roaded. Briefly there is little I would change and would do it again. You have amazing freedom to see the country. Public transport is limited. What I would say is that the signposting is fairly minimal and in cities street names are either hidden, barely visible but most likely not there at all. Marrakech is almost entirely without street names. We drove hundreds of kilometres only to find we spent the last hour covering the last two kilometres (tip - hire a taxi driver and follow him, it will save you time and a marriage). We used paper maps but I think Sat Nav or GPS would have been better very useful. However I wouldn't travel without a paper map as SatNav can malfunction or get stolen. We used Michelin ones. Also be aware that many websites will calculate journey times based on wholly unrealistic average speeds. A 2.5 hour journey took nearly 4. A 9 hour journey took nearly 12. Stuck behind a truck over the High Atlas can add a long time and most main roads go directly through innumerable villages and towns where the speed limits are much reduced and often the roads are blocked e.g. market day. Police are very active but I found them kind to tourists. The roads vary in quality from excellent to fairly rough. You need your wits about you because potholes appear or half the carriageway has been eaten away. Also there are other road users and working animals. What I would definitely NOT recommend is driving at night. What signage they have is almost never lit. Secondly, as there is rarely any pavement the whole world uses the road. Lighting on motor vehicles seems a personal choice. Mopeds hardly ever have a front light and bicycles never. Equally the average Moroccan male seems to enjoy nothing more of a pitch black night night than to wear his darkest clothing and walk against the traffic on an unlit road chatting on a mobile. Equally there are wild and working animals. We had to drive twice briefly at night and the only reason we survived was that we never went over 40mph. Generally the standard of driving is quite poor but not the worst and they are very forgiving and generous drivers. If you stuff up they will generally try and assist.

Merzouga, Morocco
reviews: 22
5. Re: driving in Morocco

Spot on, thanks.

Stockholm, Sweden
reviews: 45
6. Re: driving in Morocco

Thanks just exactly what even I say about driving, and Moroccan like much to bearing their darkest clothes in the dark talking in the mobil LOL

Worthing, United...
reviews: 98
7. Re: driving in Morocco

Driving is fine in Morocco. One thing I would say is make yourself aware of the speed limits. The speed traps can be a problem with official (and unofficial) fines for any transgression. We once were fined for overtaking a tractor doing 15kph. and crossing a solid white line, the police were a kilometre away with binoculars. Other than that, the driving is pleasurable.

Edited: 5:35 pm, October 12, 2013
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 36
8. Re: driving in Morocco

Driving in Morocco is OK, but try to avoid cities in the evening. It's Spain that really gets me on edge with mad drivers.

UK
reviews: 9
9. Re: driving in Morocco

Do you need an international driving licence to hire a car in Morocco or is the UK photocard licence enough?

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 36
10. Re: driving in Morocco

UK photo licence is enough.