We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moroccan Currency

Which Agadir hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Glasgow, United...
reviews: 14
Moroccan Currency

Hi Can anyone tell me whats the best way to take spending money to agadir. I was in tunisia last year and just withdrew money from the bank (ATMs) when required, would Morocco be the same?

Thanks

Claire

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 62
1. Re: Moroccan Currency

Hi Claire,

Yes, use the ATM's. Read the article on currency in the top questions box on the right of the page for more information.

colchester
Destination Expert
for Agadir
reviews: 29
2. Re: Moroccan Currency

ATMs are deffo the way to go.

Remember some banks may need telling that you are going away, some including nationwide have brought this back in.

With drew in 100s of dihram. The machines will let you enter an amount ending in X50, but doesn't issue the currency. Your bank should refund the transaction when you let them know, but better to avoid issue in first place

Glasgow, United...
3. Re: Moroccan Currency

Hi thanks so much for the info, I will let our banks know that we are going, just incase. I will try and buy some here if possible to take with me a small amount for tipping.

Thanks

Claire

norfolk
reviews: 30
4. Re: Moroccan Currency

claire - that is not the way to do it. you will get a lousy rate, and dealing in dirhams outside morocco is, strictly speaking, illegal.

there are money changers in the airports. use those for a bit to get you started. and please read the article referred to above. it explains all that and more.

5. Re: Moroccan Currency

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 6:52 pm, October 28, 2013
Glasgow, United...
6. Re: Moroccan Currency

thanks so much for all the comments, i will just wait until I get there and withdraw some money at the bank at the airport.

Claire

colchester
Destination Expert
for Agadir
reviews: 29
7. Re: Moroccan Currency

John W - many exchange bureau in the uk will tell you that it is prohibited to deal in Dihram outside the country.

In some cases (like Tunisia and Cuba), this is the case, but with dihram it is more that they do not have access to the currency, but give the same info to customers.

Hence Pam, is just giving the information she has been no doubt been told.

Clare, do get and keep at least one receipt for your exchange - you will need it when you want to change your excess cash back to sterling.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 12
8. Re: Moroccan Currency

Whilst many exchange bureaus in the UK may inform you that it is a closed currency, many travel operators are seemingly happy to sell these on at a very poor rate.

Also, whilst it is said that it is illegal to trade Morocan currency outside of that country, I know of no punishment which can be inflicted on tour operators or anyone else who do sell MAD.

Also, as some of us may have noticed, the popular online auction house called ebay does frequently offer current Moroccan Dirhams for sale in both coins and paper. There are no illegalities associated with this type of sale either.

Hastings
9. Re: Moroccan Currency

I have thought about this myself. I'm being picked up at the airport as I have ordered a shuttle taxi to take me to agadir. Much cheaper than a taxi. I don't think I will have time to get my money exchanged at the airport. It seems that my hotel will exchange money and they have confirmed that the exchange rate they offer is the same as the banks. Check with your hotel about it.

Wolverhampton...
reviews: 6
10. Re: Moroccan Currency

Take uk £10 - £20 you can exchange you money at your hotel reception Rui place gave u a Reasonable exchange rate