We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

smoking

Which Agadir hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
York, United Kingdom
reviews: 9
smoking

Is smoking allowed in the hotel bars, as others in Morocco do? I'm not a smoker so am interested in what it is like

Cambridge, United...
reviews: 101
1. Re: smoking

It is....You come out stinking like the worse ashtray you can imagine. Thank the lord we have a smoking ban in this country

Marrakech
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
2. Re: smoking

You can always sit at an outdoor terrace.

3. Re: smoking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 8:05 pm, September 09, 2012
East Gwillimbury...
reviews: 74
4. Re: smoking

"Why should you have to sit outside to escape that foul smell ?"

- Because that's how it is in Morocco. No need to get preachy (on a travel site!) about the accepted customs in places different from your homeland just because you disagree with them. If you don't like the smell of cigarette smoke then don't go to places where people are smoking or, as heresmyreply intelligently suggested: Sit outside. Simple.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 12
5. Re: smoking

Unfortunately restaurants also allow smoking. I haven't found a single place with smoking restricted areas.

I get a cheeky reply from resto staff saying "even doctors smoke". So what if they do? It is unfair on those who do not wish to sucumb to smoke whilst enjoying a meal or drink.

Going outside is not always an option as some places have very narrow space meaning you are being overlooked by passers-by and inhaling large volumes of diesel fumes.

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 60
6. Re: smoking

Hi,

Smoking is allowed almost everywhere in Morocco, you just have to accept that and try to keep away from smoky areas if it bothers you.

Mold, United Kingdom
reviews: 46
7. Re: smoking

Spmm, the reason some of us like a smoking ban is not about smell but being made ill. Before the smoking ban in Britain I had to abandon so many meals out because someone lit up at a neighbouring table and made me ill. I may have a really bad asthma attack (which did not resolve even with the inhaler I always carry), or would just get generally allergic with my face swelling ,skin itching and sneezing and sometimes vomiting. The worst thing was that the people who had made me ill often laughed at me because of the sneezes or my rushing to the loo. The smoking ban has given me a whole lease of life and I only wish Morocco would introduce one. And yes I do sit outside but it's cold in January. At least moroccans don't often smoke cigars because a cigar at 10m in the open air can make me need to leave.

It is very arrogant of smokers to assume that just because a lot of them di it it isn't a problem.

Don't be so arrogant as to think

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 33
8. Re: smoking

My worst flight before non-smoking was adopted was Iberia flying Barcelona to Vienna. I asked for a non smoking aisle seat and found when boarding that non smoking was on the left of the plane, smoking on the right!

What was worse was that the guy to my right across the aisle was smoking cigars. Never flew with Iberia again.

So yes, I hate smoking, but in Morocco I am mainly in non tourist areas and if locals choose to smoke, who am I as a guest in their country to complain?

Edited: 12:25 pm, September 09, 2012
canterbury
reviews: 63
9. Re: smoking

as an ex smoker i know what it's like from both sides.

such a pity really the more it becomes unacceptable in the west to smoke, the harder the cigarette companies will try to push their product in the 3rd world.

it is difficult even though i know how bad it is, i could never tell anyone to stop, especially as i know what it's like to be addicted.

Marrakech
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
10. Re: smoking

I wasn't banishing non-smokers to an outdoor terrace. I was pointing out that outdoor terraces exist - something which Phil C from York may not have thought about. In my opinion the outdoor terrace is the best place to be unless it is raining and there is no cover.

P.S. I am a non-smoker and would prefer it if cigarettes didn't exist too.