We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Self Drive Car Hire

Which Agadir hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
UK
reviews: 18
Self Drive Car Hire

My query basically - is it safe? Not so much road conditions but levels of hassle. Can you stop to admire a view or will you always have to fend off the hustlers.When you park up in town is it likely to attract unwanted attention.We much prefer to do our own thing but it may be better to hire a taxi and use the driver as bodyguard. This may sound neurotic but tourists are easy to spot and I have had (not in Morocco --yet!)locals block my car whilst they try their luck and 'Bon Homie'quickly turns to abuse if you fail to deliver --- tends to spoil the day.

Anybody got experience? I can take normal levels of hassle (and still smile) but rumour has it Moroccans can be persistent.

Hong Kong, China
reviews: 20
1. Re: Self Drive Car Hire

I´ve rented cars on several occasions to travel around morocco and have never had an experience like the one you describe (and on a couple of these trips, I was a lone female traveller).

Yes, its safe. Be careful of speeding, as the highway cops are everywhere and prone to pulling over foreigners.

Parking is fine. There is usually a parking attendant who sill seemingly appear from nowhere to ask you for money. This is legitimate - they usually wear a blue jacket that resembles a lab coat. Parking overnight is usually 10 dirhams.

The only time I found it difficult to get out of the car to admire the view was in the oases in the south. Every time I stopped, small children appeared from behind every palm to offer to guide me or sell me a trinket. Obviously, it was by no means threatening...but I was really in the mood to contemplate in silence - without the company of a posse of 8 yr olds.

UK
reviews: 18
2. Re: Self Drive Car Hire

Many thanks. Very reassuring. We look forward to getting out and about without a minder.

U.K.
reviews: 12
3. Re: Self Drive Car Hire

Scaredycat,

I can only tell you of my experience in the Town of Tangiers where I was hassled beyond belief which was so annoying as there were such wonderful shops and bazzars but I was never left alone to look or browse and in the end I gave up, and I had a professional representative looking after me as well which didn't make much difference but I did feel a little safer.

They can be very persistant, to the stage when you do get very annoyed. If you are blonde haired and blue eyed, wear a hat and glasses. But don't let it put you off, as the experience is fantastic. I wouldnt go back otherwise, I'm trying Agidir this time.

Mo