We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One night on the way to Fez from Erg Chebbi?

Which Morocco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
reviews: 30
One night on the way to Fez from Erg Chebbi?

I was thinking of stopping for a night at Michlifen Ifrane as a way to rest in between Erg Chebbi and Fez (which I understand is a 7-9 hour drive). Michlifen Ifrane seems to be the nicest hotel on this route, but it seems like a bit of a waste of money to just stay there for a night an leave the next morning and Ifrane is already so close to Fez. I would've preferred to break up the trip somewhere sooner like in Azrou or Midelt, but the accommodations there seem pretty basic. Do people have any thoughts on whether it's worth stopping for the night in Ifrane?

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 36
1. Re: One night on the way to Fez from Erg Chebbi?

If you can afford Hotel Mischliffen it would certainly be an experience. Yes, the Panorama in Azrou would appear quite basic in comparison.

But you can backtrack the next morning to visit the Mischliffen ski resort, see http://looklex.com/morocco/mischliffen.htm and also visit the wild monkeys around Azrou, see tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g616013-c145720/Azr…

Then on the way back from Ifrane to Fez, shortly after Ifrane turn right to visit the seasonal lakes and then cut across to Sefrou.

New York City, New...
reviews: 30
2. Re: One night on the way to Fez from Erg Chebbi?

Thanks Tim! I really like the idea of breaking up the drive to Fez based on your suggestion to my other question! Glad to hear that Ifrane is a good candidate. I'm not a big fan of backtracking and would also prefer to arrive in Fez when there's day light, so would it be possible to do the monkeys/cedar trees near Azrou the same day I leave the desert? How early in the morning would I have to leave Merzouga to do this? Google Maps says it's a 5 hour drive from Merzouga, but not sure how accurate that is.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 36
3. Re: One night on the way to Fez from Erg Chebbi?

Have a look at the map linked from my article on the wild monkeys and you will see it's a great loop round rather than simple backtracking.

morocco-knowledgebase.net/tim/azrou-monkeys.…

You're much more likely to see the monkeys in the morning. And you're only a couple of hours from Fez, so no problems about arriving late.

Google Maps is rarely accurate as far as Morocco is concerned. 400km in five hours works out at an *average* of 80kph. I would suggest 80kph should be your maximum speed and a more realistic average would be 60kph, so more like seven hours.

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 105
4. Re: One night on the way to Fez from Erg Chebbi?

I frequently stayed in Midelt when I have driven this route between Fes and Erg Chebbi. Gets you a little farther down the road then staying in Azrou or Ifrane.

5. Re: One night on the way to Fez from Erg Chebbi?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, December 09, 2014