We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 week trip Morrocco

Which Morocco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mdina, Malta
2 week trip Morrocco

Hey everyone, I will be in Morocco from the 3rd July (arriving in Marrakesh) till the 17th July (leaving from Fez). I know I will be there during Ramadan, and am questioning whether this will affect my trip in what way. I also would like advice regarding a possible itinerary.

3rd/4th/5th - most likely spent in Marrakesh.

After this we are looking into;

1. Visiting Ourzazate and then a safari into the desert.

GIven that it is close to Ramadan, will there still be regular desert safari's?

After the safari and Ourzazate we intend to return to Marrakesh, visit Essoueira for a night or two.

Onwards to Meknes and Fez.

Where do you recommend we spent more time in?

ideally we would have 2 or 3 days in Fez before we leave on the 17th July in the morning.

Any suggestons and advice is welcome. I have never been to Morocco or a place of a similar culture, though I do have travel experience.

Please help me out :) Looking forward to your advice.

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 64
1. Re: 2 week trip Morrocco

here some info about Morocco in Ramadan: tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g293734-i9196-k6…

Yes there will still be desert tours during Ramadan.

I would suggest it will be better for you to do Marrakech then Essaouira then go to the desert via Ouarzazate and then straight to Fes. Meknes can also be done as a daytrip from Fes.

Stockholm, Sweden
reviews: 40
2. Re: 2 week trip Morrocco

Where do you want to go in the desert and for how many days?

Mdina, Malta
3. Re: 2 week trip Morrocco

Where do you suggest? Still in the beginning of planning this trip. We were going to decide when we were there, after looking at the tours on offer.

Mdina, Malta
4. Re: 2 week trip Morrocco

2 questions;

1. Is there a direct way to travel for essaueira to ourzazate or would it involve passing through Marrakesh again?

2. I like the route you've suggested alot! While in Marrakesh, we plan on going on a day trip to an area with a waterfall, forgot the name exactly. As regards the desert safari - does this encompass a mountain range and a desert or does one need a separate trip for such areas?

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
5. Re: 2 week trip Morrocco

The most popular destination for a desert tour is Merzouga where you can visit Erg Chebbi (sand dunes).

You will pass back through Marrakech from Essaouria to Ouarzazate.

You do go through some mountain valleys on this route toward the desert but it is also recommended to visit the Atlas Mountains to the south of Marrakech.

For several smaller waterfalls with mountain scenery you can do a day trip to Setti Fatma in the Ourika Valley.

There are also some bigger, more impressive waterfalls to the east of Marrakech - Cascades d'Ouzoud.

Mdina, Malta
6. Re: 2 week trip Morrocco

Yes, it is the Cascades D'Ouzoud. Is it possible to do this as a day trip from Marrakesh?

Unfortunately since we are only here for 2 weeks I doubt we can manage to visit the Atlas Mountains also - though you know more than me.

So this is a potential outline-

3rd, 4th, 5th - all spent in Marrakesh, with one day as a day trip to Cascades D'Ouzoud if possible.

6th Essaueira for a day, either as a day trip from Marrakesh or stay over one night till the 7th.

7th - transit from Essoueira to Ourzazate.

7th till the 9th - Ourzazate.

2 or 3 days Safari from Ourzazate.

12th - Ourzazate to Marrakesh onwards up to Fez.

We will arrive in Fez on the 13th.

13th/14/th/15th/16th - spent in Fez and a day in Meknes. Is Chefchaouen out of the question?

Again, thanks for all your help

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
7. Re: 2 week trip Morrocco

will you hire a car or use public transport? as that will make a big difference to what itinerary you should go for

You probably dont need to spend 2 nights in Ouarzazate - can even arrange a 3/4 day desert trip straight from Marrakech and then go straight to Fes from the desert.

Mdina, Malta
8. Re: 2 week trip Morrocco

Only public transport.

We'd like to spend a day and night in Ouarzazate, if just for the experience.

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
9. Re: 2 week trip Morrocco

your rough itinerary is a good start then, needs some tweaks as I previously suggested so keep researching for travel times etc - you will be travelling mostly by bus which takes longer than it might seem

for example you probably wont want to go from Essaouira to Ouarzazate in 1 day so either do Ess as a day trip or spend an extra day in Marrakech inbetween. And you can head straight toward Fes from the desert rather than returning to Ouarzazate.

Stockholm, Sweden
reviews: 40
10. Re: 2 week trip Morrocco

It is worth to stay over night in Essaouira if you want to enjoy it. Only as day trip you spend most of the time on the way.

Cascades Ouzoud are about 190km from Marrakech. You can take shared taxi or the CTM bus www.ctm.ma.

If you want to do also the desert I can recommend you to go from Marrakech via Ouarzazate - Tinerhir (Todra Gorge) - Erg Chebbi - Fes. All this you can do by Supratour bus - www.oncf.ma. You can make overnight stop there you wish and continue next day.

But, if you wish to go to Erg Chigaga from Ouarzazate and then back to Marrakech you lose much time on the way back. But you can do it. Count only with that to Erg Chigaga you need take 4x4 from Zagora or M'Hamid.

And in such case you can take then CTM bus from Marrakech toward Beni Mellal for to visit waterfall Ouzoud, stay over night there and next day continue by CTM bus via Meknes to Fes.