We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marrakech or fez?

Which Morocco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 1
Marrakech or fez?

Which one is better?! I only have time to see one

so which one is YOUR favourite and why?!

I want to hear from people who have been to both, and can give me comparisons between the two, i've heard fez is more traditional while marrakech is more touristy....so yes i'd like reasons why you prefer one over the other! Thank you

1. Re: Marrakech or fez?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 7:59 pm, April 24, 2013
Edited: 7:59 pm, April 24, 2013
marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 63
2. Re: Marrakech or fez?

Hi,

a very often asked question;

http://www.tripadvisor.com/SearchForums?q=marrakech+or+fes&scope=2&sub-search=Search&ff=9195&geo=293730&returnTo=__2F__

Copy and paste this into the address bar and have a look through all the previously posted opinions on the subject.

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
reviews: 312
3. Re: Marrakech or fez?

for me, it was fes..had to do with the guide and the riad, where we stayed. we loved them both, but if i had to pick one city or the other, i would lean towards fes. we thought it was a bit less touristy, as well..but that really wasn't a bother. you wanted our opinions...you got it!

how many days do you have?

which ever city you pick, you will love your experience, morocco is magical, historical, great food, and wonderful people.

London, United...
4. Re: Marrakech or fez?

I would rather Marrakeh in whic there are worth being seen sites.

Marrakech, Morocco
reviews: 55
5. Re: Marrakech or fez?

My profile says it all! However I very much liked Fes too. You can do one day trips from either city.

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 39
6. Re: Marrakech or fez?

Marrakech has better weather in the colder months, and I prefer the Berber culture of Marrakech rather than the Arabic influence of Fez.

Having said that, I lived in Fez for two months whilst studying Arabic and was never short of things to do. And Fez has been less influenced by tourism which is either good (if you are a traveller) or bad (if you are a tourist).

Mold, United Kingdom
reviews: 53
7. Re: Marrakech or fez?

I prefer Fes. I think the crattmanship is of a higher standard. It also seems smaller and less tourist dependent which isn't to say it's not very touristy. It is cooler in the hot months. It may also be that because I'm used to a Berber town (moroccan friends say berber is an insult and I should say chleuh) and Fes is more "arab" in contrast. There are easier daytrips to Meknes, Volubilis and Ifrane whereas trips from Marrakech seem to be a bit further, say Ourigane, Ourika , Essaouira and Cascades D'Assoud.

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 74
8. Re: Marrakech or fez?

My personal vote goes to Marrakech - for me it is important to have a lot of good eating and drinking options as well as culture on holiday, Fez is quite limited in that regard.

At the same time many people hate Marrakech as they find it too hectic - Fez is more tranquil and traditional (no crazy motorbikes zooming around the medina, just donkey and cart!) so it all depends what you are looking for.

9. Re: Marrakech or fez?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, April 27, 2014