We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rif or Atlas Mts?

Which Morocco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
new york
reviews: 5
rif or Atlas Mts?

We would like to spend 2-3 days in the mountains either the Rif Mtns leaving from Fes or the Atlas Mtns leaving from Marrakesh.

Suggestions?

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 36
1. Re: rif or Atlas Mts?

Both are good. What did you want to do?

Marrakech, Morocco
reviews: 55
2. Re: rif or Atlas Mts?

How long do you intend to stay in Morocco? Trips from either Fes or Marrakech into the mountain ranges are possible and each offer chances to experience different Berber cultures.

new york
3. Re: rif or Atlas Mts?

We want an opportunity to visit mountain villages/cultures. We're interested in natural beauty and in mid-April would like to know whether each are equally spring-like, meaning reliably good for trekking. As the trip will involve a lot of driving, we imagine that all things being equal (are they?) the ease of driving and ease of day treks and charm of villages could help decide whether to go to Rif (is Chefchaoen best?) or Atlas (Imlil). We won't have time for both.

Thanks.

new york
4. Re: rif or Atlas Mts?

Will be in Morocco for 16 days.

Marrakech, Morocco
reviews: 55
5. Re: rif or Atlas Mts?

My preference would be the High Atlas from Marrakech but then I'm biased and know this area better than the Rif. Having said that Chefchaouen is charming. I can only suggest that you use the information in the various Moroccan forums, use the search box for specific details and previously supplied answers and consult a guide book for overviews of each region.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 36
6. Re: rif or Atlas Mts?

I would probably also go for Imlil. It's about two hours from Marrakech and is a mountain village with other villages within walking distance. See posts #12 and 13 at morocco-knowledgebase.net/forum/…

Chefchaouen is beautiful but is a small town and is about four hours from Fez. See post #7 on above thread.

new york
7. Re: rif or Atlas Mts?

very helpful Tim. Thanks.

8. Re: rif or Atlas Mts?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, January 05, 2014