We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Morocco First-Timers: Marrakech or Essaouira

Which Morocco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Morocco First-Timers: Marrakech or Essaouira

Hi guys,

My partner and I are planning to visiting Morocco for 4 nights in February (It's my birthday!).

Initially we were set on visiting Marrakech, but I've had a look and also found some nice places to stay in Essaouira.

We've never been to Morocco so we're pretty clueless... Would be nice to have some advice from people who have actually stayed in these parts of the country.

We're concerned about weather and having things to do. We're big foodies and love culture, but the appeal of being near the sea in Essaouira is tempting (though is it likely to be cold/wet/?!).

Any advice would be great,

Many thanks.

Casablanca
1. Re: Morocco First-Timers: Marrakech or Essaouira

Hi Gater123;

Welcome to Morocco travel forum.

4 Nights 5 days can be a good amount of days to enjoy Marrakech and experience the strong local culture which will make you amazed by the brilliant lifestyle of Marrakech, experience the best romantic places restaurants by night, bars in the New City, as it includes authentic and Modern to find the best suits your needs.

So i'd suggest to stay first and 2nd Night in Marrakech then 3rd and 4th in Essaouira, as you have a lovely and amazing strech beach there you can relax and enjoy the sunset from one of the Restaurants there, as i'd suggest to go to Sidi Kaouki 30km South of Essaouira a very calm and romantic place to watch the Sunset enjoying the local Grilled Fish to make your partner amazed by this heaven.

So for the Weather during February will be Sunny and warm during the day and Chilly by night, will not effect on your trip, Essaouira is Windy place but it's very amazing location for a First-timer and seasoned Travellers.

Happy Travels and welcome to Morocco.

London, United...
2. Re: Morocco First-Timers: Marrakech or Essaouira

Personally I think one day is enough in Essaouira, there is so much to see in Marrakech, you should spend most of your time there. And yes, Esssouira can be cold and windy, in which case there really is not much to do there.

Marrakech is amazing and there is lots of advice on this forum of things to do, and see. You can easily fill 4 days there.

Marrakech, Morocco
reviews: 55
3. Re: Morocco First-Timers: Marrakech or Essaouira

I agree with Doreen: save Essaouira for another time, preferably in the summer months.

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 66
4. Re: Morocco First-Timers: Marrakech or Essaouira

If I was going to Morocco first time and just to Marrakech, I would stay there and try to find some good one day trip outside the city so I could see also a little of the country side. Essaouira maybe, or Ourika Valley.

5. Re: Morocco First-Timers: Marrakech or Essaouira

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:16 pm, December 17, 2013