We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8 Nights in Morocco: Need advice please!!!

Which Morocco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Malta
8 Nights in Morocco: Need advice please!!!

Hi, I'll be travelling to Morocco end May with my boyfriend for 8 nights. We arrive at Casablanca late at night - I don't plan to stay in Casa for long based on what I've read about the place, maybe a few hours the next morning then head to our next destination. 1st question: Can anyone recommend a hotel in Casa that is decent for 1 night? 2nd question: We'd like to visit Fes, Marrakech, Rabat and the waterfalls in the Atlas mountains, can we get to these places easily by train? In which order do you recommend we visit these places? Morocco seems like a whole new world to me so I'm quite confused as how to plan the holiday! Thanks in advance, ANY kind of advice is greatly appreciated. Roberta.

Hong Kong, China
reviews: 19
1. Re: 8 Nights in Morocco: Need advice please!!!

The Ibis hotel at Casa Voyageurs train station is perfect for a one-night stay. Its actually located at the train station, so you can hop right off the train from the airport and check right in....and then hop right back on the train the next morning and move on to your next destination.

Fes, Marrakech, and Rabat are all easily accessible by train - but you will be foreced to do some back-tracking as all trains go via Casablanca. So, if you went to Marrakech first, you'd have to pass back through Casa on your way to Rabat and Fes.

The waterfalls are not on a train line, so you'd have to either rent a car (which I'd recommend doing if your budget permits) or hire a shared tazxi to take you there.

You could go to Marrakech first, rent a car there to see the falls and other sights on the gorgeous road to Fes. Then, leave the car in Fes and continue by train to Rabat and Casa. A lot of people do this and really enjoy the freedom that the car gives them.

Malta
2. Re: 8 Nights in Morocco: Need advice please!!!

Thanks for your quick reply. The problem is that we have no choice but to start and end our journey in Casablanca because this is the only airport Airmalta flies to :(

I'd love to drive in Morocco but my boyfriend doesn't drive which means I would have to be the designated driver and I'm sure I'd panic on foreign roads, so I think I'll pass... :)

I've come up with an itinerary for 9 days; could you please tell me if you think this is ok and if there's something that maybe we should change?

Day 1: Arrive in Casablanca late at night, check in at hotel, Day 2 depart from train station to go to Marrakech, explore Marrakech, Day 3 based in M'kech - day visit to Essaouira, Day 4 based in M'kech - day visit to Atlas Mountains, Day 5 pm depart M'Kech train station make way to Rabat, Day 6 explore Rabat, Day 7 depart train station in the morning to go to Fes, explore Fes, Day 8 day free to explore Fes & make way back to Casablanca for journey back home in the pm.

What do you think? Is it impossible or will we manage it? :) THANKS!!

Hong Kong, China
3. Re: 8 Nights in Morocco: Need advice please!!!

I think you're trying to do WAY too much in this trip. Distances in Morocoo are bigger than you might think. According to your itinerary, you'll only have one afternoon in Marrakech (Day 2) and the same in Fes (Day 7). The train from Casa to Marrakech is 4 hours.

Essaouira is not a great day-trip destination from Marrakech. You'll lose 6 hours in transit time...which could be much better spent in Marrakech or the Ourika Valley.

If you leave early on the morning of Day 5, you can be in Rabat by late lunch time and the see what there is to see that afternoon. Rabat is not as full of interesting sights as Marrakech or Fes, so a day and a half would be a bit much.

Day 7: Rabat to Fes is 3.5 hours by train. If you leave at 9am, you'd reach Fes for lunch and then only have that afternoon to explore (a shame!).

You cannot make an afternoon/ early evening flight from Casa unless you leave on the first train from Fes on Day 8. It will take you at least 5 hours to get to the airport (you'll have to change trains at Casa Voyageurs to get to the airport).

Malta
4. Re: 8 Nights in Morocco: Need advice please!!!

ARRGHH! Thanks so much for your advice!! I think we may leave out Essaouira then, didn't realise it was so far, and definitely spend more time in Marrakech and Fes.. I'll re-shuffle the itinerary to make it more realistic :) We will be travelling end May - do you think we should book hotels/riads in advance or will it be ok if we book into a hotel when we arrive at each destination? Thanks again for all your help, I REALLY appreciate it...

Hong Kong, China
5. Re: 8 Nights in Morocco: Need advice please!!!

End of May is high season, so I would definitely book ahead...especially in Fes. The Fes Festival of World Sacred Music begins on June 2nd, and many guesthouses and riads have been booked solid for months. In fact, if you're planning on being in Fes between June 2 and June 10, I almost certain that you will find no accommodation in the medina.