We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wireless 3G internet connectivity- Who's the best?

Which Morocco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Wireless 3G internet connectivity- Who's the best?

Hi, I'm going to be in Morocco (mainly Marrakech) as of next week and I will be buying a 3G wireless internet usb dongle, I know there are three companies that provide such a service; Meditel, Maroc Telecom and Inwi- does anyone know who provides the best service in terms or reliability and speed? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

Marrakech, Morocco
reviews: 55
1. Re: Wireless 3G internet connectivity- Who's the best?

The three that you have you have mentioned are all of a governmental monopoly with Maroc Telecom. In other words they are all the same. Wi-Fi is available in cybercafes, some riads and (at a cost) hotels. Your dongle may or may not work depending on reception.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 35
2. Re: Wireless 3G internet connectivity- Who's the best?

Whilst not doubting the government control of all three, the coverage isn't identical. I have used a Maroc Telecom dongle the last couple of visits which works fine in many places, except the suburb of Ouarzazate (Tarmight) where my friend lives, where the signal is very low.

My friend deliberately uses a Wana/Inwi dongle as this gives him good reception at home, but in some places not so good coverage of the Maroc Telecom one.

Have a read of

laptop-junction.com/toast/content/3g-prepaid…

laptop-junction.com/toast/content/3g-payg-pr…

It's a good idea to take a USB extension cable with you so that you can locate the dongle high above your head for better reception in marginal areas.

Marrakech, Morocco
3. Re: Wireless 3G internet connectivity- Who's the best?

This is true of course but even within Marrakech, and particularly the experience in my riad, is that "dead spots" remain for reception and while laptop computers seem to function well with wifi mobile phones do not. A bit hit and miss I'm afraid.

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 104
4. Re: Wireless 3G internet connectivity- Who's the best?

I use INWI in my iPad and it works fine pretty much wherever I've been in Morocco. There will always be dead spots and how close you are to a cell tower can also impact.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 35
5. Re: Wireless 3G internet connectivity- Who's the best?

Interesting what you write, Pilibolus, I had a puncture on the new Agadir to Marrakech motorway and couldn't get an ordinary cellphone connection on either my Moroccan or UK mobile, but managed to send an email via my notebook PC and Dongle.

Marrakech, Morocco
6. Re: Wireless 3G internet connectivity- Who's the best?

Isn't technology wonderful?! Thanks for your comments Tim.

7. Re: Wireless 3G internet connectivity- Who's the best?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:42 am, April 10, 2012
London, United...
8. Re: Wireless 3G internet connectivity- Who's the best?

Thanks for the replies everyone!

I had heard that Maroc Telecom do indeed have the best coverage, but I have also heard that their download speeds are the slowest- is this true?

Also, they are amongst the most heavily active companies with regards to internet censorship and while there are ways of getting around this, I'm not sure if I want to use a company involved in such practices.

Marrakech, Morocco
9. Re: Wireless 3G internet connectivity- Who's the best?

Speed of connectivity is variable - but all of the companies are the same. Censorship is another issue, better not discussed on an open forum.

Marrakech
10. Re: Wireless 3G internet connectivity- Who's the best?

Try to use Inwi for the moment, because the Maroc Telecome one does not work due to some problems, anyway; you can use the wireless in riads, restaurants/Cafes,... many places has Wifi now.