We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mt. Toubkal Winter Climb

Which Morocco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia
reviews: 31
Mt. Toubkal Winter Climb

My friend and I want to climb Toubkal in late March this year and I see a few companies that offer such tours. Does anyone have advice on which companies are reputable? Did anyone do this and have advice on companies? Also is it positive to do in less than 8 days. we want to maximize our time!

Thanks!!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 36
1. Re: Mt. Toubkal Winter Climb

Some do Toubkal as a two day trek, leaving Marrakech in the morning, driving to Imlil, then starting the ascent and stopping overnight at one of the refugee at 3200m. Second day pushing on to the summit then descending and returning to Marrakech.

Personally I suggest a first night at Imlil at 1700m making it a three day journey.

March can still be snow but you can hire crampons and ice axe at Imlil.

2. Re: Mt. Toubkal Winter Climb

Hi, just found this thread. I'm looking at booking accommodation in Imlil on 18 March, and then beginning a two day trek up Toubkal on 19 March. Bit of a tight schedule, so pretty much need to be specific to these dates.

I am travelling alone - is it likely that I will find other groups doing the trek on that specific day, that a single traveller can join up with, or would this kind of arrangement best be organised before the journey? If not, would it work out expensive to do this alone? I imagine I would need a guide, mule, overnight accom in a refuge, and whatever equipment besides walking boots and clothes would be necessary at this time of year...

Really grateful for any advice that can be given...

Thanks in advance!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
3. Re: Mt. Toubkal Winter Climb

What's the mule going to do? Mules are expensive as they come with a mulateeer, and a mulateer isn't a guide, they are separate.

Travel light with 35-litre rucksac, then you don't need a mule. Get a guide book then you don't need a guide: amazon.co.uk/Moroccan-Atlas-Trekking-Alan-Pa…

If, of course, you are not happy with the solo approach, then investigate joining an organised trip from Marrakech.

At least one of the refuges (if not both) do hot food and both supply bedding and blankets. More information: http://www.imlil.org/

Edited: 4:33 pm, February 06, 2012
4. Re: Mt. Toubkal Winter Climb

Ok, thanks for your help. I think I assumed that I needed a mule and guide because they're mentioned so frequently in the (organised) treks I've researched...

I will look at booking accommodation where they have a luggage room to keep the non essentials while I make the trek travelling light,

Thanks again,

Jon

Sheffield, United...
reviews: 81
5. Re: Mt. Toubkal Winter Climb

I've just returned from a trek of Toubkal - my friend and I paid about £250 for a guide, mule, muleteer, porter and cook for three days, including all accomodation. We booked in advance as not sure what it would be like - but you can walk into the guide office in Imlil and sort one - could take up some of your short visit though.

The problem we found of travelling in winter was the amount of kit we needed to tackle the mountain - and its VERY cold in the evenings so you'd want a good sleeping bag, lots of warm layers for the evening - unless you really like roughing it. We stuffed our essential kit in one bag and the mule/porter carried it. The locals do find it odd if you carry huge bags.

Food is available at the refuges if you travel independantly and pre-book (both have websites - search Neltner or Mouflons refgue).

Most of the places in Imlil will be able to store your luggage - ours did happily in a locked room.

There will be other people about, especially once you get to the refuge, but how they feel about you joining them to the summit may deend on how much they've paid for a guide or if independant.

We felt we could have easily done it without a guide, though the altitude did make it hard work on the first day, but we had the whole afternoon to relax.

The guide did all the organising with the Refuge owners (whose English was limited), and even sorted out a change of plan as we were keen to do as much as possible, booking additional accomodation for us in a Berber village.

Leicester, United...
6. Re: Mt. Toubkal Winter Climb

HI there,

I'm going in Jan 2013 to do the winter climb and I'm a little concerned about training etc as I've not been up anything high for a while.

I'm relatively fit - i.e. I jog / walk a fair bit...but...

I've got a month...any recommendations?!

Thanks

J

Casablanca
7. Re: Mt. Toubkal Winter Climb

Hi Jenna;

You can simply Check the following Link to collect so many helpful information before you depart for your Trip :

http://www.tripadvisor.com/SearchForums?ff=9195&geo=293730&scope=2&q=mount+Toubkal&sub-search.x=0&sub-search.y=0&returnTo=__2F__

Happy Travels.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
8. Re: Mt. Toubkal Winter Climb

A flight of stairs in a house/office is about 8ft or 2.5m. You need to climb from 1700m (Imlil) to 4200m, so that's about 1000 flights of stairs. Find a skyscraper and start practicing... ;)

Joking apart, it's a non-technical but physically demanding ascent. The main difficulty is the scree fields in the south col where you sometimes slide two steps back for every three steps forward.

I used twin trekking poles when I did Toubkal, but then I'm no spring chicken anymore.

9. Re: Mt. Toubkal Winter Climb

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:58 pm, January 21, 2013
10. Re: Mt. Toubkal Winter Climb

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 6:48 am, March 01, 2013