We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gay couples

Which Morocco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Nottingham, UK
Gay couples

As a gay male couple, should we anticipate any problems in the riads of Marrekech and Essaouira e.g. requesting a double bed etc etc.

Thanks

reviews: 3
1. Re: Gay couples

I dont have first hand knowledge of how you will be responded to for your request for a room in those areas but you should have a look at the FCO -Foreign and Commonwealth Office travel website on Morocco where I believe they point out that gay people are advised not to travel to Morocco as they are very much frowned upon in their society. If you still wish to go then my suggestion would be to travel as two seperate men and request adjoining rooms and try keeping your own views private. I know this may be a lot more expensive and a pain but sometimes people have to respect other cultures beliefs even if you dont completely agree with them.

Nottingham
2. Re: Gay couples

I have just returned from Marrakesh, this being my second visit, I can assure you Gay life is alive and well in Morroco, it maybe frowned upon in Morrocan society but many local men have gay relations with tourist and i found no problem sharing a room with another man, and if u want a double bed just ask, discretion should always be practiced in all muslim countries, but it is a great place to be gay and a wonderful country and city, all the people are warm and friendly, gay and straight ...

Morocco and Spain
reviews: 1
3. Re: Gay couples

I do not think you shall have problems at all. Just be friendly and discreet. I just booked a tour for 2 guys from canada and they made no secret of their situation. Many hotels have twin beds so ask for doubke bed if available. In El Jadidia, north of Essaouira and south of Casablanca, there are many foreign gays. I met some a few years ago there and they visited every year. They put a special rug over the balcony so their "friends' knew they were in town...

Elena

Dir. Blue Men of Morocco Co

4. Re: Gay couples

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:56 am, August 10, 2005
London
5. Re: Gay couples

Many gays in Morocco, dont let anyone scare you

austin
6. Re: Gay couples

the king of morocco is gay, for god's sake! it's a place where being gay may be culturally taboo, but where homosexual relations are common, even among alledgedly 'straight' moroccan men. be smart about it, and you'll be fine.