We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Touring Morocco

Which Morocco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Whangarei, NZ
reviews: 150
Touring Morocco

My husband and I wish to tour Morocco in January 2013. Can anyone recommend a tour company for private tours, 12-14 days in length with riad options. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Many thanks. Wendhmagz

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 63
1. Re: Touring Morocco

Hi,

Have a look at Tour Companies and Guides in the Top Questions box on the right of the page. Be aware that many people who have only visited once claim to have found the "best" tour company/guide/Riad when they have nothing to compare it with. You also have to realise that there are a lot of touts out there (though TA members try to spot them and get them removed).

A general rule of thumb is that if someone has only posted once and is mega-enthusiastic (though everyone is a first time poster once :-) you should perhaps be a little cautious when they claim that their tour guide flew them round Morocco on a flying carpet and got Humpy the magic camel to leap them over the Atlas mountains while serving mint tea to the King before personally making dinner for them in the desert surrounded by his entire family of happy Berbers (who have no interest in selling you a rug, no siree)!.

Do some research, send a few messages to reviewers to narrow thing down and then ask some more questions on the forum would be my advice.

Happy forward planning!

(And a bit of the above was tongue in cheek before anyone takes me entirely seriously :-)

Edited: 6:08 pm, November 20, 2011
Marrakech, Morocco
reviews: 55
2. Re: Touring Morocco

Wendhmagz, now that is certainly forward planning! I have been fortunate enough to have been a host for New Zealand travellers both here in Marrakech and in Scotland, several on repeat visits. You have the time to tailor make your itinerary and not depend on tour companies. That way you can be as flexible as you wish to explore Morocco. Twelve to fourteen days is better than most can achieve but my advice is not to over extend yourselves. Perhaps a two centre introduction to the country will allow you to experience the "core" of the country - I would suggest Fes and Marrakech - and from each of these two Imperial cities day trips will afford you both cultural and scenic opportunities. As the post above suggests the information is here on TA but please come back to us on the forum with any other questions you may have.

Whangarei, NZ
3. Re: Touring Morocco

Many thanks Pilobolus - will keep this in mind.

Sydney
reviews: 13
4. Re: Touring Morocco

Hello Wendhmagz,

My partner & I have just returned from two weeks travelling around Morocco with a driver/guide. We are used to making our own travel arrangements and driving ourselves. However, we felt Morocco was perhaps more challenging. I planned the entire tour and booked the accommodation. This way, it's tailor made - you get to go wherever you want and stay as long as you wish! This took many months of research - using Trip Advisor, The Lonely Planet Morocco and other accommodation guides such as i-escape. I cross referenced everything with Trip Advisor. We prefer boutique accommodation and the choice was amazing The driver/guide we had planned to use (a relative of a friend) didn't work out - this was 3 weeks before the trip commenced! I looked on Trip Advisor and found a recommendation for a guide. His name is Jalil. He was absolutely fantastic...in every way. He is a safe driver, intelligent, non-intrusive, has a great sense of humour and didn't take us to any shops or stalls unless we requested - and then he offered advice (or warnings) regarding prices etc. He went out of his way to look after us. I can give you his details if you wish.

We had an amazing trip, covering a huge amount of the country. The success of the trip was very much partly due to our driver. I'm happy to share any of the itinerary etc. Good luck.

5. Re: Touring Morocco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:36 am, July 02, 2013
Whangarei, NZ
6. Re: Touring Morocco

Thank you for that Lynni. Your trip sounds great. Which company did you use? I would certainly be interested in your itinerary. I haven't done a lot of research as yet but the deeper I delve the more options I have come up with. Would love to hear more about your trip. Many thanks.

Edited: 12:49 am, November 21, 2011
Singapore, Singapore
reviews: 78
7. Re: Touring Morocco

Hi Wendz,

I just came back from Morocco after a 10 day tour, happy to share the experience with you if you'd like as well as thoughts on pros and cons of tour operators. Dropped you a message with my contact if you'd like to ask anything. Cheers.

Sydney
reviews: 13
8. Re: Touring Morocco

Hi Wendhmagz,

Our driver/guide is a private operator. His name is Jalil Benbeli and he is based in Marrakech. He is happy to work out an itinerary with you or follow yours. You can contact him via email and phone. I will send you the details.

I have absolutely no hesitation in recommending him.

As far as our itinerary is concerned - I will try to keep it brief! The countryside is absolutely amazing - such contrasts. There are so many interesting places to visit - it just depends on your interests and the time you have. Just remember, the distances are vast - so you spend a lot of time driving. Allow enough time and nights in some places to relax and absorb the beauty & culture.

Day 1 - Fly into Casablanca and drive to Tanger - stay overnight. (I wished we'd had two nights here and also visited Asilah)

Day 2 - 5 Tetouen, Chefchouan , Fes - 3 nights in Fes - visit Meknes & Volubilus during this time

Day 5 - To Merqouga for Desert Bivouac - via Ifrane, Azrou, Ziz Valley

Day 6 - To Skoura for 2 nights - via Todra Gorge, Dades Valley (I would recommend staying here despite the views of 2 guides - it's a great base and when travelling very long distances, it's lovely to just stop and relax a bit)

Day 8 - Ouarzazate, Ait Ben Haddou, Telouet, Ourika Valley (stayed at Bab Ourika - spectacular!)

Day 9 - To Imlil and Kasbah du Toubkal (2 nights would be great here is you like to do some trekking - great place to relax as well)

Day 10 - Marrakech for 3 nights

Day 13- Essaouria

Day 14 - Fly out of Casablanca

9. Re: Touring Morocco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:38 am, July 02, 2013
idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
reviews: 311
10. Re: Touring Morocco

sending you personal message...it will come up on your email.