We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary suggestions

Which Morocco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Itinerary suggestions

Hi there,

We aim to visit Fes, Marrakech, Casablanc, The atlas mountains and Rabat. Any suggestions as to the best way of doing this, driving times/distances etc. we want to spend about 10 days to 2 weeks. How long is best to stay in each, is car hire feasible, what order should we do them in.

Many thanks

1. Re: Itinerary suggestions

Four days more or less makes a whole lot of difference in Morocco. Also, to answer your question it helps to know where you will be entering and leaving the country.

UK
2. Re: Itinerary suggestions

Thanks for your response.

2 weeks would be the duration then to make the most of the trip. Flying is flexible but probably in and out of Marrakech

3. Re: Itinerary suggestions

OK. You could do a "loop":

2 nights Marrakech

1 night Ouarzazate (visit Ait Benhaddou on the way)

1 night Dades valley (Boumalne or Tinerhir)

1 night Merzouga (desert)

1 night Midelt

2 nights Fes

1 night Meknes

1 night Rabat

1 night along the coast (Oualidia?)

1 night Essaouira

return to Marrakech

Quite a packed itinerary, but distances are impressive, so in my opinion it's best to do small stretches at a time.

I would leave out Casablanca. I do like the city, but as a tourist you'll find very little of interest there.

As for driving times:

Marrakech - Ouarzazate, 4 hours

Ouarzazate - Tinerhir, 3 hours

Tinerhir - Merzouga, 4 hours

Merzouga - Midelt, 4 hours

Midelt - Fes, 5 hours

Fes - Meknes, 1 hour

Meknes - Rabat, 2 hours

Rabat - Oualidia, 4 hours

Oualidia - Essaouira, 3 hours

Essaouira - Marrakech, 3 hours

These times obviously vary with the wheather and traffic conditions.

A car rental is absolutely feasible, no reason why it shouldn't. The only tricky part by public transport is Ouarzazate to Merzouga.

Chicago, IL
4. Re: Itinerary suggestions

We spent about 2 weeks in Morocco in September 2004. Because my family has ties to Tangier, we started by spending several days there, though a lot of people would want to skip that, or shorten the number of days in Tangier. And since most of us--there were 7 of us--were coming from the US (though I flew from Heathrow) we came into Casablanca, since that's your only non-stop choice from the US (via Royal Air Maroc). Here's our itinerary, which hit the places you mentioned, plus a few others we really enjoyed. You could certainly modify it by avoiding Tangier. We had a driver, driver's assistant, and guide beginning in Tangier.

Day 1: Casablanca to Tangier (via air)

Day 2: Tangier

Day 3: Tangier

Day 4: Tangier to Chefchaouen

Day 5: Chefchaouen to Fes

Day 6: Fes

Day 7: Fes to Rabat (stop in Meknes, Volubilis, Moulay Idriss)

Day 8: Rabat to Casablanca to Marrakech (we were supposed to fly from Casa to Marrakech, but missed our flight, so we drove...it's a dull drive, so I'd recommend flying if possible)

Day 9: Marrakech

Day 10: Marrakech to Ouarzazate

Day 11: Ouarzazate to Zagora (Sahara camping)

Day 12: Zagora to M'Hamid (more Sahara camping)

Day 13: M'Hamid to Marrakech

Day 14: Marrakech (some people went home at this point via Casablanca)

Day 15: Marrakech to Casablanca (via air)

Day 16: Casablanca to home

5. Re: Itinerary suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:21 am, November 27, 2005
6. Re: Itinerary suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:33 am, June 18, 2006
Morocco and Spain
reviews: 1
7. Re: Itinerary suggestions

Depending on time of arrival, I suggest you bew driven to Rabat and stay at a ryad there. It is about 1 hour to center of Casablanca to find a hotel. We like to take folks directly to Rabat which is 1 and 1/2 hours. Then you see some of Rabat the next day before going on to Fes. Volubilis is definitely worth a visit - 100 a,d, Roman ruins.

This was supposed to be the first paragraph instead of the last.