We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

selecting camel trekking/overnight tent company

Which Morocco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
reviews: 44
selecting camel trekking/overnight tent company

I am flying directly into Ouarzazate and want to experience a sunset camel trek and then overnight in a tent. From Ouarzazate, I will be renting my own car - so I can drive anywhere in area to meet the outfitter/camel company.

1) What overnight company did you go with? Would you recommend them yes or no.

2) Where did you go exactly? I understand that there are several dune possibilities.

3) What was the condition of your overnight trip? (e.g. did you sleep on blankets or was there a mattress? Did you sleep in a small private tent or sleep with an entire group?)

4) Any related tips, suggestions, appreciated!

*I realize that this type of question may invite solicitators - so this question is only for long term members of TA, no one time posters/companies* Thank you.

Bucharest
1. Re: selecting camel trekking/overnight tent company

I did the main route ; but i flu into Marrakesh then took CTM To Ouarzazate where i hired a rental then drove in destination of Merzouga exactly to a town Called Hassi labied -i recommend this area- it's one of the quietest spots in Erg chebbi desert.

before heading down to do the desert I've booked -you may book beforehand also -my desert trip trough www.desertcameltrips.com the owner charged me 40€ per night include camel ride; meals..etc here you may go on private ride.

in the other hand there are caravans which leaves from the edge of the desert to overnight in one of the touristy camps; had things in order ; personally i much prefer to do the trek to a quite spot where you may enjoy the stay; to a private camp.

i recommend this trip and the local company I've used; they have all the camp equipment arranged in advance ( blankets; mattresses.. private camp... that was mentioned on Assou's website , also noticed that they prepare food while the arrival at the camp. i guess you have the choice to decide how you want your trip to be !!.

If you are going to hire a car then it's not necessary to look for a company in Ouarzazate; you may just drive on your own till the desert then start your camel trek .

ps. the drive from Ouarzazate to desert takes about 3/4h ; i guess you'll stop for couple moments along the way; so that will make it 4 to 6 hours.

Boston...
2. Re: selecting camel trekking/overnight tent company

Thanks for your helpful response. I didn't think about a "private/smaller group" vs. "caravan-like experience with more tourists" - -- good feedback.

Anyone else with opinions? Thank you.

East Gwillimbury...
reviews: 74
3. Re: selecting camel trekking/overnight tent company

Hi BwP!

As Afrikia stated: If you are renting a car in Ouarza, I too would recommend making the drive down to Erg Chebbi. The drive times suggested seem about right. The drive took me about 4.5 hours with a stop for food and gas. Followed speed limits 100%. The road is in in good shape and well marked.

1) I booked in advance with Kasbah Mohayut via email. I would definitely recommend their services. Passable English with booking and desert guide, and very professionally run. The trek was very smooth & organized.

2) I went to Erg Chebbi. The other popular desert area for trekking is Zagora. I think both would be interesting to experience, riding a camel tho.

3) It was pretty windy and overcast on our way out to camp. Our riding group of 7 were guided out from the hotel just before sundown. The camels didn't smell and were very well behaved.

I was very confident in our guide, Mohamed. He spoke passable English, but was more fluent in French or Arabic, naturally. He was a funny guy. He cooked excellent chicken tagine too.

We

There are real mattresses in the tents. The tents are like thick, woven fabric, as thick as carpets, tied together. There's a porta-potty booth at camp. I'm a guy. I used the sand.

My wife said it was not bad though.

There are private tents, 1 dbl bed per compartment. They are all atached to each other, so sound is very noticable. It's VERY quiet in the middle of the desert, in the middle of the night.

4) I've located the exact position of the camp on Google Earth, and placed photos there, as have others:

31 09'04.31" N

3 59'33.75 W

The ride to camp was about 1.5 hours. I was a bit saddle-sore the next morning getting back on Alice the camel.

We also stayed 1 night in the actual hotel as well, which was also very good.

If you have more questions, send me a PM, and I'd be happy to share info, if I can.

Erg Chebbi, Morocco
reviews: 2
4. Re: selecting camel trekking/overnight tent company

Hi - hope you don't mind if a local reply your thread. Asou/Mohayut both are recommended; the difference between them is: the hotel run groups so you don't know who is the responsible; i work at a hotel and I'm used to hear complains while the clients pay at the front desk. Asou or Les nomads at Hassi labied are doing good job getting the tourists to their clean and private tents with all what the above post has mentioned.

Afrika mentioned -the touristy camp- which is a large whole in the desert with 30/40tent include a dirty PARC for camels; here is where groups of 30/40 person camp for every night.

the list of hotels that organise for camel ride is a large one; my experience in tourism is not that long; but i can recognise the services that worth it.

The location of the camp is important in the main services too; the served food need to be classified too; the hotels tend to classify the menu depends on

what tourists afford : e.g budget;luxury..etc

keep in mind that sometimes the hotel/organiser give the chance for nomad guy who never been to school (who talks just Berber) to led the camels; then troubles Begin; the communication and answering tourists questions is needed to rate the main services.

extra help : before you fly; open a new tread about weather; i can report about this too; since the beginning of Feb the weather was windy; the weather report from Rabat and from what was mentioned in the "weather" websites there will be wind for the couple next days.

I'm not an old member here but i can take back my post if it doesn't help you.

again excuse my poor English.

Dallas, Texas
reviews: 27
5. Re: selecting camel trekking/overnight tent company

Hi, Born, I think you are getting smacked with solicitators. There's one, at least, that keeps "reinventing" himself with new names.

I just got back from Morocco a couple of weeks ago and pre-booked with a great outfit that spoke excellent English and took really good care of us. Send me a message and I will give you more information about our experience and also the contact info.

Best of luck!

Erg Chebbi, Morocco
reviews: 2
6. Re: selecting camel trekking/overnight tent company

I wonder what's "smacked" does mean?? well i can guess ; people in Texas use this word a lot.

( the vocabulary and it's origin) i always believe that Texas has it's own way. W B have one!!

East Gwillimbury...
reviews: 74
7. Re: selecting camel trekking/overnight tent company

Solicitors?

That's an ironic statement, because this thread seems pretty legit so far to me; more so compared with many other of the Morocco topics on a regular basis!

I guess you don't browse the Morocco forums much, do you oetgirl?

The original poster asked specific questions, and received on-topic advice. What' the problem with that?

Boston...
8. Re: selecting camel trekking/overnight tent company

Thanks so much everyone for sharing your experiences. I was a bit nervous about sleeping in the desert, but after hearing your stories & tips I am more confident now. I esp. appreciate the Google Earth coordinates. Very cool.

9. Re: selecting camel trekking/overnight tent company

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, October 15, 2009