We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to Stay in Ames

Which Ames hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Canberra
Where to Stay in Ames

Hi all,

I'll be moving to study at Iowa State in Ames, and was wondering which suburb/region to stay in?

I'll obviously want to be close to College but don't mind travelling from an area further out which is unique or interesting or more affordable in some way.

What will be the areas closest to Istate where I will spend most of my time?

Any suggestions much appreciated - cheers.

Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Des Moines
reviews: 26
1. Re: Where to Stay in Ames

There are some towns between Ames and Des Moines (the state capitol) that would give you convenient access to both: Huxley, Slater and Ankeny come to mind. Polk City is also between the two and it's near a large lake (Saylorville Lake) and some nice parks.

Wisconsin
reviews: 27
2. Re: Where to Stay in Ames

If your purpose for being in Iowa is to study at ISU, I would highly recommend living in Ames near a bus route. Ames has a very good bus system, Cyride. ISU students ride for free with their student ID, while the regular adult fare is $1.00. Check out www.cyride.com for more information.

Ames was just voted the 9th best small city to live in (in the US), so unless there are other factors (family, dual careers, livestock space) I'm not considering, I'm not sure why you would want to live somewhere else. Like most universities, parking is somewhat limited on the ISU campus, and living in town and using Cyride helps to alleviate that concern.

…cnn.com/magazines/…PL1901855.html

Canberra
3. Re: Where to Stay in Ames

Thanks so much for your replies, I didn't know that cyride was free to ISU students - it really must be a great small city ;)

So the towns between Ames and Des Moines, how long a drive are we talking here to get to Ames? And what would a bus fare cost?

Canberra
4. Re: Where to Stay in Ames

Thanks so much for your replies, I didn't know that cyride was free to ISU students - it really must be a great small city ;)

So the towns between Ames and Des Moines, how long a drive are we talking here to get to Ames? And what would a bus fare cost?

Wisconsin
reviews: 27
5. Re: Where to Stay in Ames

Cyride only runs in the Ames city limits. Therefore, you can't use Cyride to get to any small towns between Ames and Des Moines.

The link below details the (limited) intercity bus service in Iowa.

www.iatransit.com/services/carriers.asp

Des Moines Area Regional Transit (DART) buses do run between Des Moines and towns like Ankeny, but then there is no way to get from Ankeny to Ames on established public transit.

Burlington Trailways/Jefferson Lines buses do run a few trips (2 or 3 per day) between Ames and Des Moines, with an adult ticket costing $12 one way. This system is used by the occasional traveler, and not by those doing a daily commute because of the inconvenience (very few trips per day) and cost.

Edited: 9:50 am, August 06, 2010
6. Re: Where to Stay in Ames

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:33 am, February 03, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Ames