We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodation in Oahu

Which Oahu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Accommodation in Oahu

Hi, we are planning a visit to Oahu at the end of the year for about 2 weeks.

We are a family of eight - 4 adult children and 2 teenagers.

We would like to stay where the action is ... wherever that is.

Any suggestions for accommodation would be very welcome.

13 replies to this topic
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
reviews: 344
1. Re: Accommodation in Oahu

At the end of this year, as in Christmas time? That is one of the most expensive times of the year. Did you have a budget in mind?

Melbourne, Australia
2. Re: Accommodation in Oahu

yes at the end of this year from about Dec 20 for 2 weeks

Not too sure about budget at this stage

Dallas
reviews: 12
3. Re: Accommodation in Oahu

Suggest you look at Royal Hawaiian, Westin Moana (but only in tower rooms), and Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach for starters. See if you think any of the prices in those hotels can fit your budget. These 3 hotels are prime location and right on the beach. So, if your budget will cover any of these, then I would recommend one of them.

If your budget is smaller, then give an idea and you will get some other suggestions.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
4. Re: Accommodation in Oahu

For two weeks I'd want to be in condos and you'll probably need two.

The ones I would start with are the Waikiki Beach Tower, Waikiki Sunset, Wyndham Waikiki Beach Walk and The Regency at Beach Walk.

Also look on VRBO.com, Homeaway.com and FlipKey.com. Waikiki, is most likely where you want to be. You could also split the time on two different parts of the island, but then you'd need rental car(s).

Honolulu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
reviews: 2
5. Re: Accommodation in Oahu

Without knowing your budget we can't be of much help. We can suggest different place but if you can't afford them........................!! You are coming during the busiest time (outside the summer months) and the most expensive. At this late date you may be confined to what is available and not necessarily what you want.

With 2 weeks, I would look into going to 2 different islands, again, depending on what kind of budget you are on.

South Coast NSW
reviews: 50
6. Re: Accommodation in Oahu

Andrew - you have to bear in mind, most people plan well ahead for this time of the year. I've had a look at available condos and there is not much available there. What is available is possibly already booked but calendars just have not been updated, or is likely to be booked up within the next couple of weeks.

There are a few condos which have recently been renovated which seem to still have availability for this time of year eg - http://www.vrbo.com/476919 - however it is unlikely you will be able to find two condos in the same block, which could be a deal breaker - or a bonus, depends on how much you like the people you are travelling with.

Here is a budget option which does seem to have two units available in the same block rented by the same company - Ali'i beach rentals - http://www.vrbo.com/3566219ha - http://www.vrbo.com/397682 - this building used to be a hotel (which got some terrible reviews back in those days!) but has recently been renovated into condos. This is probably one reason they are still available for the dates.

Alternatively you can try booking hotel rooms but again, you are going to have to pick something you like and book it asap. I'd throw the following hotels into the mix - Waikiki Parc, any of the Outriggers in Waikiki, the Sheraton, Royal Hawaiian and Halekulani if your budget will stretch to those.

Hilton Hawaiian Village is a bit of a walk from the heart of Waikiki but it will be hopping and it is a short walk to Ala Moana Shopping Centre where some of the people you are travelling with will want to spend considerable time shopping. The grounds are beautiful.

Melbourne, Australia
7. Re: Accommodation in Oahu

Lets assume a budget of $500 - $600 per night which I would hope would include taxes.

Also, we would place a premium on space over amenities. So if we could get a 3 bedroom set up (even 3 separate rooms in a hotel) that would be great. Our kids are older so privacy and own space is important! That said, we know we have left it late so we may just have to take what is available

Melbourne, Australia
8. Re: Accommodation in Oahu

Thanks to everyone - this is really helpful!

Any comments about location are also welcome.

In our previous travels, we have tried to stay in the heart of the action.

In Oahu, where is the heart of the action? ie where you can step out and everything you want is just there?

I just want to get a sense of where the various accommodation options are relative to that.

Walking is not a problem but we want our kids to come and go as they please at all hours of the day and night without it being too much of a stretch

Dallas
reviews: 12
9. Re: Accommodation in Oahu

As I said in an earlier post,

"Suggest you look at Royal Hawaiian, Westin Moana (but only in tower rooms), and Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach for starters. See if you think any of the prices in those hotels can fit your budget. These 3 hotels are prime location and right on the beach."

Those are the "heart of the action" for the beach activities, restaurants and shopping.

You will not find any 3 bedrooms in those though, and your budget will not cover 3 rooms in any of those hotels. The only place that has condo's that have 2 bedroom units (don't know about 3), and right on the beach, is at the Outrigger Shore. It is a fair ways down the beach from the other 3 hotels but still a good location. You can book those through Outrigger or privately owned units through VRBO. All other condos are going to be a little off the beach, and not in the "heart of the action" but easily walkable to most of Waikiki. Waikiki is not that big and you don't need a car to stay in Waikiki to get to most places.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
10. Re: Accommodation in Oahu

All of Waikiki is the "heart of the action" on Oahu. It is a very small area, maybe a mile and a half long, half mile wide and therefore no bad place for a family with teens and young adults to stay. With toddlers I might try to stay "in the heart of the heart", but not a big deal with older kids.

You can find three bedroom condos in Waikiki, but you can also find 2 bedroom condos with foldout couches that can sleep 8.

You can find hotels where you get three rooms for under $200 a night including taxes.

Reply to: Accommodation in Oahu
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted