We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Inadvertantly reserved with an "illegal" property ...HELP

Which Oahu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Calif
Inadvertantly reserved with an "illegal" property ...HELP

Made reservations months ago for a private rental in Kailua. This was before I knew of all of the issues going on there. So, the question is now what do I do. I am trying to find something for a large group (10 people). Any ideas? Any help would be welcomed. Thanks

Albuquerque, New...
reviews: 5
31. Re: Inadvertantly reserved with an "illegal" property ...HELP

bump

Hawaii
reviews: 3
32. Re: Inadvertantly reserved with an "illegal" property ...HELP

profesionalstudent,

It is no secret that in this forum the OPPONENTS of vacation property rentals seem more than willing to parrot the hotel industry's position on this issue, but if this statement is any indication of the prevailing attitude that they have toward tourists...

--------------------------------------------------------------

>>2. Face it, TOURISTS ARE THERE TO USE AND TAKE, period, not contribute to the society. That is their solitary goal; spend the bucks & get the experience/enjoyment for themselves, no matter what they claim or express as their intentions.

Tourism anywhere is a very self-centered experience. We all want to get the exact vacation WE want with OUR hard-earned money.

There is nothing at all wrong with that, as it leads to a mutually beneficial exchange in our free market economy between local business/workers and visitors.

But for some reason, as expressed by numerous posters on several threads in recent days, some folks feel local residents should be eternally grateful for tourists spending their dollars in the islands. Hey, its the other way around; tourists should be grateful for being given the opportunity to come to paradise.

Tourists choose to come to Hawaii, spend their money, get their tan and go home. They are not making a "gift", they are exploiting the natural resources of the islands for their personal gratification.<<

-amberloo

--------------------------------------------------------------

...then you might want to think twice about the kind of advice that you're getting, here.

Kailua, Hawaii
33. Re: Inadvertantly reserved with an "illegal" property ...HELP

Furniture Man wrote:

>>profesionalstudent,

It is no secret that in this forum the OPPONENTS of vacation property rentals seem more than willing to parrot the hotel industry's position on this issue, but if this statement is any indication of the prevailing attitude that they have toward tourists...<<

I saw no wholesale opposition of "vacation propery rentals." I do find it rather convenient that you omitted the word "illegal" in your above statement.

"Parrotting"? Don't see that, either. Just some local residents concerned about preserving the character of their neighborhoods.

And from the looks of it, they're having a bit of success. Nice to see.

Albuquerque, New...
34. Re: Inadvertantly reserved with an "illegal" property ...HELP

Hi Prof,

Just received the July edition of Hawaii Magazine and saw three ads that appear to have potential (hope at least one is new to you):

hawaiianbeachrentals.com (pages of windward listings!),

hawaii-beachhomes.com (click on east side-one 4 bedroom),

halepohaku.com (might be a bit too small).

Hawaii
reviews: 3
35. Re: Inadvertantly reserved with an "illegal" property ...HELP

>>I saw no wholesale opposition of "vacation property rentals."<<

Well, perhaps this is because no one has launched a campaign in support of this issue in these forums, but merely responded to those who have persistently campaigned in opposition to it.

I suppose I could get a few people together and bombard this site with threads about how wonderful vacation rental properties are; have my goons launch a new thread or two every week (or just dredge up an old one) just to keep the issue in front of everyone on the board, but if I did that then it would make me no different from the spiteful, vindictive and chronically insincere opponents of vacation rental properties who have made it their business to plague this site.

Albuquerque, New...
36. Re: Inadvertantly reserved with an "illegal" property ...HELP

How about a compromise folks?

With every post, on either side of this issue, add a link to a professional rental agency?

Prof is facing a deadline of August (for a fairly large group)!

If he doesn't receive the needed help here, where will he?

37. Re: Inadvertantly reserved with an "illegal" property ...HELP

Kamaainawannabe;

Some of the vacation rental management firms you listed are notorious marketers and property managers of “illegal” vacation rentals. In fact, some of these firms may be under investigation by government authorities for participating in “illegal” vacation rental activities.

I believe Professionalstudent is very clear that they will not rent “illegal” accommodations and are requesting recommendations for legal accommodations only!

Unfortunately, the web is being bombarded by sites that tell vacationers how wonderful their vacation rental properties are, but fail to mention anywhere that their accommodations are “illegal”. Furthermore, they have their goons or unsuspecting vacationers launch a new thread or two every week (or just dredge up an old one) to promote “illegal" vacation rentals on TA. These dishonest, immoral and chronically devious proponents of “illegal” vacation rental properties have made it their business to deceive vacationers in order to exploit their neighborhood and community for an “illegal” profit.

As far as a compromise, there is already a fair compromise for those who want to own or operate a vacation rental. They can purchase a home in an area that is zoned for that use such as Ko Olina, Turtle Bay or Waikiki or one that already possesses a non-conforming use certificate for a residential zoned neighborhood. Operators and owners of “illegal” vacation rentals know this, but arrogantly believe they are above the law and the desires of their neighbors.