We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Molokai? Lanai? or quiet part of Maui or Oahu?

Which Molokai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Minneapolis...
reviews: 1
Molokai? Lanai? or quiet part of Maui or Oahu?

We are planning a visit mid-February next year. Absolutely LOVE Kauai and its beauty, and quiet surroundings. Much prefer it to Big Island or any "big city" tourist environments. Would like to visit a new area, and wondering which would be the best fit for us! Planning a 2-week stay for our family - with 3 boys in their 20's and 8-year old grandson. Nice beach areas - snorkeling, natural beauty without having to hike alot is what we are looking for. Options: Molokai on Papohaku Beach side, specific parts of Lanai?, specific parts of Maui?, or north end of Oahu near Polynesian Cultural Center. Believe that weather on west sides of islands is usually warmer, less rainy - is that true? Is 2-weeks too long to spend on Molokai or Lanai? Any input, ideas or info would be greatly appreciated!!!

Minneapolis...
11. Re: Molokai? Lanai? or quiet part of Maui or Oahu?

we have been to Kauai twice, but that is still an option - maybe staying on the north end this time if we go back. saw an interesting rental on Maui - in Hana - and remembered that I have heard alot about the "road to Hana", so unfortunately that great home will not be an option for us! (unless you can fly right into Hana!) I have read that Papohako Beach will not be swimmable - some even said that it is so windy that you can't even sit on the beach to enjoy it! really exploring our options, so all input and ideas are very helpful!! thanks much!

San Carlos, Ca
reviews: 5
12. Re: Molokai? Lanai? or quiet part of Maui or Oahu?

As mentioned, the swimming and snorkeling on the west end of Molokai is very limited in February. There is one beach, Dixie Maru that is swimmable because it is in a protected cove, but since the west end receives the largest waves, sometimes the water at Dixie can be too churned up to see anything, so snorkeling isn't reliably good there. The west end is fabulous for hiking to secluded beaches and enjoying the views, but in February it isn't the best place if you want to play in the water. There are lots of places to explore (Halawa Valley, State Park lookout, Sunday music at Coffees of Hawaii, hike to Kaupoa Beach, kayak or SUP along southern shore) and it is super easy to get around Molokai with a car, so if you like to explore or if you like to hang out, Molokai is fantastic. Not sure about Lanai, have only been there once for a couple of days. With kids and doing active water sports, I would recommend the southern area of Maui... McKenna Beach, Wailea and Kihei as it is quieter than the northern areas. La Perouse Bay is great for snorkeling. So as others said, maybe you could spend 4 days on Molokai, a couple of days on Lanai (take the Jeep tour of the island) and the rest on Maui, if you don't want to go back to Kauai or the Big Island.

Washington DC...
reviews: 11
13. Re: Molokai? Lanai? or quiet part of Maui or Oahu?

Hana is very isolated, I wouldn't recommend staying there, especially not for a first timer to Maui who doesn't like curvy roads, and especially not in February. When people do stay there they usually only stay one or two nights so that they can hike some of the places and explore the Road to Hana at a more leisurely place. I think West or South Maui are your best bets, post on the Maui forum to get more feed back, and read the top questions on the Maui forum.

Also, as you probably know, the North Shore of Kauai is more likely to be rainy and have more potential for high surf (unswimmable beaches) in February, so if you choose to go back to Kauai, I would recommend staying on the South Shore if swimming and better weather are important to you.

I agree with Ellynjd, that perhaps spending most of your time on Maui would be best, and then I would choose either Lanai or Molokai (not both) for perhaps 5 days max. With that many people, it would be easier (and cheaper) not to move around too much. You could do a day trip on the ferry from Maui to Lanai, as another option.

Encinitas...
14. Re: Molokai? Lanai? or quiet part of Maui or Oahu?

If you want SAFE ocean activities in February on ANY island in Hawaii you have to avoid north, northeast and northwest coastal areas. Especially if you are non-ocean people from the midwest. Read the websites of the local hawaiian papers like the Garden Isle newspaper on Kauai and see where people are drowning (they do..all the time). The surf today on the northshore of Kauai is 12-16 FEET. My husband and I have been surfing a combined 90 years and have been traveling or residing in Hawaii since 1969. The only POSSIBLY safe easy beach snorkeling in February among the places you mentioned are Poipu at Poipu beach park or Brenneke's or the Kihei area of Maui. Any day in Hawaii in locations open to ocean swells, the surf can go from 2 ft to 15ft in hours. Visit the Hawaii Ocean Safety website several times this month (March) http://oceansafety.ancl.hawaii.edu/v/2.0/. It will give you an idea of what February next year may be like. Check out the local weather where you wish to go as well. Last winter in early March there was 44 INCHES of rain in 2 days in Hanalei, Kauai.

West facing Molokai is exposed to open ocean swells from the north and northwest in February. Go to Kihei or Poipu and check with the lifeguards. You can get in trouble anytime. My husband (retired SoCal beach lifeguard) and I rescued a mother and her two small children in Poipu on our surfboards before the lifeguards could get to them. That was only because they went in the ocean without FINS and the trade winds blew them onto a reef full of sharp sea urchins. Mom had feet full of spines!

Do have a safe and fun trip!

Minneapolis...
15. Re: Molokai? Lanai? or quiet part of Maui or Oahu?

thank you so much for your very important message! safety above all else!

Apple Valley...
reviews: 16
16. Re: Molokai? Lanai? or quiet part of Maui or Oahu?

In my opinion, as beautiful as Lanai and/or Molokai are, you will be sooooooooooooooo done with quiet after 2 weeks. Been to both. Both are remote with little to do except take in the beauty of where you are. With a family, I'd go with Maui. IMO it's laid back, and is just wonderful. Kaanapalii has everything, and most within walking distance. Makena area is great as well, but not sure everything within walking distance. There's always the Hana area for remote/quiet areas. Lahania Town gets to touristy for me and Kahalui is a city. Hope this helps.

st. louis
reviews: 12
17. Re: Molokai? Lanai? or quiet part of Maui or Oahu?

I have been to all the islands. Poipu is one of my favorites, but I always come back to Maui my favorite. I brought my teenage children and now teenage grandchildren and they all love it. I prefer more of a quieter place to stay. I usually stay at Napili Shores or Napili Bay condos. Napili Point condos are well appointed but you pay the price. All are oceanfront. You can get your best deals by going to vrbo.com find unit you like then go to trip advisor.com and check recent comments from people who have stayed there, I am going again in May with a friend and staying in a studio at Napili Shores, $125 total per night with tax and it is a lovely small quaint place. We are going to Molokai for two days, quite expensive I do say bit in all the years I have come to the islands this is my first to Molokai. We are ferrying over, hiking down to Father Damien's, taking plane back up to the Molokai airport. Two nights hotel, car food etc... $1200

Victoria, Canada
reviews: 119
18. Re: Molokai? Lanai? or quiet part of Maui or Oahu?

We have been to all the islands but the big one, spending at least ten days on each with the exception of Lanai where we stayed for four days. All are different. On Lanai, which is a very small island, the shuttle can take you from town if you are staying someplace other than the Four Seasons and their beach is great for swimming, snorkeling and picnicking. It has wash rooms and showers for the public. Molokai is very untouristy. We enjoyed the people, but didn't swim as much as expected because the tides were low during the day when we were there exposing the coral. In Maui, one needs a car. We stayed a week on the coast near Maalea and one week up country. Even being up country near Kula, we were still able to drive to the beaches. The roads are excellent in Maui. Oahu has good historic sites, a variety of beaches and an excellent art museum. All different islands, all wonderful experiences. Can't wait to see the Big Island and then the question will be; which to return to first.

19. Re: Molokai? Lanai? or quiet part of Maui or Oahu?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, March 21, 2014