We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

appropriate tip for tour guide

Which Maui hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
reviews: 63
appropriate tip for tour guide

Can anyone suggest an appropriate amount to tip a tour guide for a day-long trip? A couple of years ago I went on a day trip to Hana and the woman who drove the bus and commented about the sights was a lot of fun....I think the trip cost about $100 or so, which included meals, etc...At the end of the day I gave her $15 or so...Is this enough? I wasn't sure given that she spent the full day with us....I'll be doing the trip again with my parents next week and just wanted to see what others thought....Thanks

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
reviews: 13
1. Re: appropriate tip for tour guide

15-20% sounds a bit high to me. I tipped our heilcopter pilot 10% and he acted elated.

~Den~

2. Re: appropriate tip for tour guide

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:16 pm, August 18, 2009