We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

donating our used travlers clothes

Which Maui hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
reviews: 27
donating our used travlers clothes

we are taking our honeymoon to Maui in spring. We are staying in California first and then California on the way back. We are thinking og packing some old clothes and shoes for Maui that some we will leave and try to donate to Good will, the salvation army or another similar agency. This way we can also take back things we have bought. Can anyone tell us how to do this or should our hotel consierge help us?

Kuala Lumpur...
1. Re: donating our used travlers clothes

Why would you want to take used clothes all the way to Maui to donate them? Are there no poor people in New York who could make use of your cast offs? Maui is not as prosperous as New York but it is no third world country either.

What would you think if people from Hawaii brought used clothes to New York to donate? If you really want to help the poor people of Maui donate money.

The Bakery
2. Re: donating our used travlers clothes

Salvation Army is certainly on Maui, but they and Goodwill need money more than anything else. It would be a nice gift to mark your honeymoon to donate some money to their activities.

I often bring old clothing and leave it behind, but I never donate well used clothing in need if a wash. Just bring stuff you can chuck without feeling bad a load up on goodies - or do what I do and simply ship the old stuff home via Parcel Post or UPS. I very often ship home my clothes, swim shoes, and even my snorkel gear. It's easy and if they're used I won't be brokenhearted is they're lost. The gear is insured. Then I can carry the goodies I've bought. Any hotel can help, but it's usually cheaper to find a pack-and-ship place or UPS store.

New York City, New...
reviews: 27
3. Re: donating our used travlers clothes

we are not bringing old clothes just to donate that would be crazy. We are packing old clothes for things like hikes and whatever else and want room in our suit cases to take home new things. And yes we donate all of the time in NYC we have more homeless here than anywhere else in the country. And we are not rich. So now hopefully I have cleared that up, back to my question, where do we donate the clothes we won't be taking back with us?

San Diego...
reviews: 1
4. Re: donating our used travlers clothes

We always take an empty suitcase with us to bring stuff back in. Our luggage can fit within each piece so I put the next smaller one inside the biggst one and away we go.

Otherwise, the first year we stopped by WM and grabbed as large a duffle bag as the planes will allow, and took it on the plane as a carryon.

Shipping is another option and not that expensive unless everything you bought is heavy.

I KU MAU MAU
5. Re: donating our used travlers clothes

Hey New York! I think it's great that you're thinking of donating the clothes rather than just tossing them away. People need to give where and how they feel it's appropriate. Here's a couple local #'s for you of organizations that take used clothing:

Big Brother/Big Sisters of Maui 808-242-9754. Every so often they have weekend clothing drives at Maui Mall where you can just drop the clothes off.

National Kidney Foundation Of Hawaii / Maui Office 808-986-1900

Edmonton, Canada
reviews: 14
6. Re: donating our used travlers clothes

Bud, you are so colorful, LOLLOL.

Edmonton, Canada
7. Re: donating our used travlers clothes

I think it's a great idea, NewYork...

Kuala Lumpur...
8. Re: donating our used travlers clothes

I would like to donate some money for the benefit of the less fortunate in Maui. Would someone please telll me the names of some local charities. I don't have the time to look them up.

Edmonton, Canada
9. Re: donating our used travlers clothes

Bud

Why would you want to donate money to people in Maui? Are there no poor people where you live who could make use of your donation? Maui is not a third world country .

I suppose, if you are serious, you could do an online search to find charities, but I'm assuming you are just being colorful again!

Edmonton, Canada
10. Re: donating our used travlers clothes

It took me a very quick search to find this list, I'm assuming you would want to research before donating your money:)

Local Charities include: A Keiki's Dream, Imua Family Services, Aloha House, Halau Hula O Keola-Ali'iokekai, Punana Leo O Lahaina, Hawaiian Canoe Club, Arts Education for Children Group, St. Anthony Junior Senior High School.

National Charities include: The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, ASHA for Education, Charities Challenge.