We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maui with 7 kids, 2 families, 7 days, on a budget?

Which Maui hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Paso Robles CA
Maui with 7 kids, 2 families, 7 days, on a budget?

We are going to Maui the end of August with our best friends. There are 7 kids between us ages 12 months to almost 8 years. We enjoy being very thrifty, and would love advice for what to do, where to eat, what to pack. We have 2 mini vans, a kitchen, laundry room. We will be there 7 days. We are staying at Kahana Falls, near Kapalua. We would love any adivice! Thank you! Julesmarly

Denver, CO
1. Re: Maui with 7 kids, 2 families, 7 days, on a budget?

Sounds like a great trip! We love to travel with other families. Always someone for everyone (kids and adults alike) to hang out with, and the added bonus of trusted, unpaid childcare if one couple would like to go out for a romantic dinner, the ladies want to spend a day shopping, gentlemen want to golf...

We put the kids to bed and stay up most of the night talking, playing cards, and enjoying some grown-up drinks!

When we're looking for cheap activities for the kids, we always rely on the beach or the pool. They can play for hours on end at either spot and never, ever get tired of it.

With that many people in your group, you could definitely benefit from a trip to Costco to stock up on groceries. Eat breakfast at the condo (I find our kids would rather do that than go out anyway), pack sandwiches for the beach, buy meat to grill if your complex has BBQs (if not, many of the beachparks have them). Make sure to get fully stocked up on your kids favorite drinks and snacks to carry in the car. Being in the sun and water is notorious for making them hungry and thirsty, and it gets expensive to stop and pick things up here and there.

I would be sure to either bring with you a folding cooler, or just pick up some cheap styrofoam ones at the store. You may even find one or two in your condo....the last place we stayed had 5!! It's great to be able to haul around drinks, snacks, lunch for the beach. When you go home you can just leave the styrofoam cooler for the next guests. If you can find a good place for shave ice somewhere nearby, that's always a popular treat with kids, and usually pretty cheap.

I think I'd probably just buy beach toys there as well, rather than trying to pack them. I saw LOTS of people really frustrated at the rental car places last week because they rented a mini van for a large group, then realized that with all of the seats filled, you have very little space for luggage! You can get some fun toys cheap at Costco or Wal-Mart.

I can't give any suggestions for places to eat out or sights to see on that part of the island, since I've never stayed up that far. All of my good finds are down in South Maui, which would be quite a drive for you. But, I'm sure that lots of the good folks here will offer some great tips!

Have a fantastic trip!

Paso Robles CA
2. Re: Maui with 7 kids, 2 families, 7 days, on a budget?

Thank you for your input! Julesmarly

Paso Robles CA
3. Re: Maui with 7 kids, 2 families, 7 days, on a budget?

Thank you for your input! Julesmarly

reviews: 4
4. Re: Maui with 7 kids, 2 families, 7 days, on a budget?

Found this trip report for you. Hope this helps! Copy and paste this!

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29220-i86-k632521…

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
5. Re: Maui with 7 kids, 2 families, 7 days, on a budget?

Things I liked on Maui:

Road to Hana, Haleakala sunrise (anytime is actually good), Iao Valley, stroll Lahaina.

www.mauihawaii.org Great site of Maui Jon

www.visitmaui.com Free brochure

www.thisweek.com This Week on Maui XXX

www.spotlighthawaii.com Maui Gold XXX

www.101thingstodo.com 101 Things to do on Maui XXX

XXX - These also have free hard copy brochures that you can pick up at airport baggage area & other areas on Maui

www.alternative-hawaii.com Good narrative driving tours, restaurant reviews

www.hawaiiweb.com

www.driveguidemagazines.com Good maps & restaurant reviews

This link has a lot of budget info:

budgettravelonline.com/bt-dyn/…index.html

www.hawaiitrails.org

http://www.dartmouth.edu/~volcano/texts/DekHaleakala.html Try to copy & paste this link

hawaiianstylemedia.com/Guidebooks/Maui-Roadt…

Lots of links on this site:

www.johann-sandra.com/hawaii/maui/index.htm

Central Montana
reviews: 11
6. Re: Maui with 7 kids, 2 families, 7 days, on a budget?

Since you mention that you're staying near Kapalua, I imagine that you've read how scenic that beach is. Good snorkeling, swimming, and just relaxing. Kahekilil Beach (Park) is south of you on your way to Whaler's Village--excellent snorkeling, shade trees, picnic tables, grills (I believe)--nice place to hang out. Walking on the Kaanapali boardwalk near Whaler's Village at sunset is an interesting experience--Whalers Museum there is free and is worth a look. There's an inexpensive food court there kids would enjoy. Snorkeling at Black Rock early in the day is great and we found shade way at the northern end on the Sheraton side. Lahaina is fun for strolling with lots of eating options. Staying at the Maui Kai (not far from where you'll be), we got groceries at the large Star Market closeby. Have fun!

Rochester Hills...
reviews: 63
7. Re: Maui with 7 kids, 2 families, 7 days, on a budget?

Gourmets, don't read this!

You know what we did with our kids twice for dinner on Maui? One night we got Kentucky Fried Chicken, the other Thai carry-out, and we took it to the closest beach (we were down in the Kihei/Wailea area where they have oceanside parks with picnic tables) and ate and watched the sunset! Incredible! The kids goofed around and played. Lots of locals were doing the same thing. Dinner on Maui if you're eating out is an expensive affair. We plan to do the same thing again next time. Pizza, whatever! I can still completely remember the beautiful sunsets we watched. And no hushing the kids or trying to make tired kids sit up straight and still in a restaurant.

Paso Robles CA
8. Re: Maui with 7 kids, 2 families, 7 days, on a budget?

That is a great idea, sounds like a great idea. Thank you! Julesmarly

9. Re: Maui with 7 kids, 2 families, 7 days, on a budget?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:35 am, August 15, 2009