We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

South Maui beach for 1 day Ulua vs Makena

Which Maui hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
reviews: 2
South Maui beach for 1 day Ulua vs Makena

Were are leaving in 18 days for Maui and will be there only for 1 week. I would really like to snorkel in south Maui for 1 morning with my kids (6 and 8 yrs old).

Which beach is better for our family with young kids, Ulua beach or Makena???? Makena sounds tempting for me because I'd really like to try those fish tacos from the JAWS truck.

Any thoughts?? Thanks!

Chicago, Illinois
1. Re: South Maui beach for 1 day Ulua vs Makena

Ulva beach gets better reviews for snorkeling but Makena is a prettier beach and the kids will love it. . Have never snorkeled the rocks on either end of Makena so don't know how that is. More parking at Makena than Ulva. And I'm probably the only one to disagree about this, but I thought the fish tacos at the Jawz truck where one of my biggest disappointments in 15 days on Maui. The were fresh, they tasted good, but to chime in on an old ad for Burger King, "Where's the Fish?" I could hardly find any fish in the two mahi mahi tacos I had. I should of tried them again but just didn't want to do it. Am I the only one to disagree here?

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 1
2. Re: South Maui beach for 1 day Ulua vs Makena

By Makena, I assume you are referring to Big Beach?

That may be the most beautiful beach anywhere. It is absolutely incredible. Go during the week though. On weekends, it gets crowded.

washington state
reviews: 4
3. Re: South Maui beach for 1 day Ulua vs Makena

Hands down Ulua is way better for children. The beach is wonderfully protected on both sides by reef which also makes for EXCELLENT snorkeling. Absolutely our favorite. Big Beach/Makena Beach is also a wonderful beach but the surf is huge there and difficult for children to handle. Go take a look though so you can see it because it's very beautiful.

For Ulua Beach, parking is just past the Reinessance Hotel, GO EARLY!! The lot tends to fill up quickly.

washington state
4. Re: South Maui beach for 1 day Ulua vs Makena

Ooops! Have to add. Yes! The fish tacos from the Jaws truck are the best! Just drive down after your day at Ulua.

california
5. Re: South Maui beach for 1 day Ulua vs Makena

I loved both beaches but it seems to me that Big Beach is probably better for boogie boarding. I say that because the surf IMHO seems to be very strong there.

peace

Boston...
reviews: 2
6. Re: South Maui beach for 1 day Ulua vs Makena

Is the surf at big beach always rough or is it during the afternoon only?

washington state
7. Re: South Maui beach for 1 day Ulua vs Makena

The surf is always larger at Big Beach but not deal for boogie boarding as the surf tends to break on the beach which is not ideal for boogie boarding.

8. Re: South Maui beach for 1 day Ulua vs Makena

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:17 am, August 14, 2009