We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TS Flossie

Which Maui hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, TX
reviews: 1
TS Flossie

We're scheduled to land about the same time Tuesday as Flossie, if (and I know it's a big 'if') she stays on course. Anyone been on the island during a Tropical Storm? How does it impact things? Does the airport shut down until it passes? Do Trilogy and the fishing charters get canceled for a day? More? Shops close up, people go home? Or is it just a rainy day on the island and everyone takes it in stride? I'm certainly not going to let a little wind and rain get in the way of my Maui fun, but might be good to prepare my entourage if we need to re-schedule some activities or plan for some extra airport time.

120 replies to this topic
Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park
reviews: 6
1. Re: TS Flossie

I commend you on your calm and thoughtful post! We sometimes see quite the opposite, lol.

If she actually comes in, she will reach Oahu and Kauai first. The patterns has varied once in all the years I remember, when (non-hurricane) Daniel was aimed at Maui. So, we usually have lots of warning and time for prep. She prob won't be felt much on Maui until Wed. if she reaches Oahu Tues.

If it appears we will have a true storm, the County will close the highway and the lower road in Kihei/Wailea. The airport MAY close but that is the FAA's call. Luckily this is normally announced a day or so ahead of expected landfall.

If she is really on course to affect Maui, boats will cancel their trips and go out to sea to ride it out. You would of course receive a refund or re-schedule at no extra cost. Shops and such may stay open, or close, depending on their location and the size of the storm. Many stay open and have parties!

The biggest problems can be wind, rain, landslides, and/or tree branches. These can in turn cause power outages and the like. All the resorts have backup generators and many condos do too.

You may have to fill your bathtub with water as the County will also shut the water system down to prevent damage and pollution, but you would have plenty of warning.

Houston, TX
2. Re: TS Flossie

That's very helpful, swmarket, thanks. I've lived on the Gulf Coast long enough to know that when it comes to hurricanes, you just prepare for the worst and hope for the best, then wait and see which one you get. Not much more you can do, and no sense in worrying about them. Sounds like if we can just get on the island before the storm, we can deal with the effects. After all, it's Maui, where better to ride out a storm, right!?!

New Berlin, WI
reviews: 9
3. Re: TS Flossie

Best of luck to you all! I didn't know a TS was on it's way. I will have to watch and hope for the best for all of you. Is there a particular season on Maui (probably all of Hawaii) that TS or hurricanes arrive?

Maui
Destination Expert
4. Re: TS Flossie

Chris, our season for hurricanes is June to November. We haven't had a big one since Iniki, which was awful for poor Kauai.

We get storms that should be classed as TS here and there..........but the officials don't call them that for fear of scaring people.

Vancouver, BC
5. Re: TS Flossie

I just looked on the NOAA and National Hurricane Center, and it looks like Flossie is tracking from the East towards the BI. It is saying it should be a Tropical Depression by landfall on Tuesday morning with winds below 39mph

Maui
Destination Expert
6. Re: TS Flossie

For those who want to stay updated, here is a link to the Hurricane Center:

http://www.prh.noaa.gov/cphc/

Once Flossie crosses the magic line, she will be monitored by the Central Pacific Hurricane Center; right now she is still under the NWS Hurricane center.

Also, I hadn't looked at her latest path, it looks like she will actually arrive near Maui first. I still wouldn't worry for at least the next 2 days and we see what she has done by then.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Maui
reviews: 8
7. Re: TS Flossie

Here's what the prognosticators are saying today:

"...more stable air, increased wind shear, and cooler water is expected to begin weakening of Flossie through this weekend.

While forecast models track Flossie in the general direction of Hawaii early next week, as already mentioned, Flossie is expected to have been weakened by the time it arrives, most likely as a remnant low, depression, or minimal tropical storm. "

Hopefully it will bring you nothing but some great sunsets! :-)

Houston, TX
8. Re: TS Flossie

"Hopefully it will bring you nothing but some great sunsets! :-)"...

That would be perfect!

Boston, MA
reviews: 5
9. Re: TS Flossie

We're also watching this, uber_daddy. We get to Oahu tomorrow (HOORAY!!!) and Big Island on Thursday, so I'm hoping we miss some of the excitement.

Denver, Colorado
reviews: 19
10. Re: TS Flossie

Another great site to track TS & hurricanes is weather underground. www.weatherunderground.com/tropical

We have family along the gulf coast and use this to monitor current conditions as well as forecasted path, computer models, etc. it's a great resource as is has all the good stuff in one place.

Reply to: TS Flossie
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted