We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does Maui have a "dirty" little secret?

Which Maui hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Marysville,OH
reviews: 11
Does Maui have a "dirty" little secret?

First, let me start by saying my husband and I just got back from Maui and had a great time! BUT, did anyone else encounter aggressive behavior from the native males between the ages of 18 -25? We witnessed 3 seperate incidents of violent aggressive behavior towards mainlanders, one towards us specifically. Mostly by young male drivers. Our personal incident involved tailgating and hanging out the windows cussing at us and throwing bottles at our car.(this happened at 9 am outside of Paia) The other 2 not involving us personally happened in Kihei (where we were staying), but after inquiring about the frequency of these incidents, we found out a major incident happened in Lahaina a couple of years ago. This led to a hate crime bill being passed concerning this problem. Several locals told us there are just places you shouldn't go, but of course, we had no idea where they were. And it wasn't like they happened late at night, ours was early in the morning. I just wish ANYone would have filled us in so we didn't go uninformed. Let me add again, that 95% of the people were great, but that 5% was scary! My husband who travels alot for business said he never had encountered such open hostility. I would love to hear the "locals" on TA address this. Thank you....Tami

I KU MAU MAU
41. Re: Does Maui have a "dirty" little secret?

"her friends in Maui give her a really hard time for having haole friends here. She's confused about whether she's betraying her duty to her people by fraternizing with haoles. "

She oughta get smarter friends. I wonder if they know just how many of the people living here are 100% full-blooded Hawaiians. LOL Not many! The majority of Hawaiians are themselves of mixed races. Either Japanese, Filipino, Chinese, Puerto Rican, Mexican, and GASP . . . what have we here?????? HAOLE! If she were to exclude anyone with a drop of Haole blood, she could end up friendless.

I KU MAU MAU
42. Re: Does Maui have a "dirty" little secret?

"her friends in Maui give her a really hard time for having haole friends here. She's confused about whether she's betraying her duty to her people by fraternizing with haoles. "

She oughta get smarter friends. I wonder if they know just how many of the people living here are 100% full-blooded Hawaiians. LOL Not many! The majority of Hawaiians are themselves of mixed races. Either Japanese, Filipino, Chinese, Puerto Rican, Mexican, and GASP . . . what have we here?????? HAOLE! If she were to exclude anyone with a drop of Haole blood, she could end up friendless.

I KU MAU MAU
43. Re: Does Maui have a "dirty" little secret?

E kala mai for the too many posts! My fingers stay getting all futless!

Seattle, WA. USA
reviews: 2
44. Re: Does Maui have a "dirty" little secret?

I agree with KamaainaK - that's a very well-written and well-thought-out post that Amberloo has made.

Ken

Houston, Texas
45. Re: Does Maui have a "dirty" little secret?

The only "agressive" behavior we experienced on the island by that age male was on the road to Hana-he was perched roadside with some good "herb".....LOL. We didn't take him up on his offer and he didn't seem to mind.

As a native Houstonian-you get flipped off, honked at, cursed at, etc...daily for just driving in the same zip code. There doesn't have to be a reason for raod rage or any other-it exists everywhere at any time. I think when on vacation away from home-your expectations are different, but realistically shouldnt be.

Maui
46. Re: Does Maui have a "dirty" little secret?

Aloha ;

Kamaaina said perfectly.

Hilo, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
reviews: 4
47. Re: Does Maui have a "dirty" little secret?

Hi Pilikia, yes, good point, not a lot of pure blood around. Also the idea that people of European descent aren't mixed is to ignore history. I know I'm descended from a bunch of nationalities that have fought many wars with each other ...

This young woman was really nice and the only reason the topic came up was that I told her she was the most cheerful person I had met all day. She said there were not many of her people left and she felt it's her duty to take care of the 'aina (OK, I admit I didn't compute how that related to smiling while she rang up my sale but I didn't ask) and then she mentioned her Maui friends.

Anyway, she said she actually liked her new friends on the Big Island better; she was just troubled by her old friends giving her a hard time. It was an odd conversation.

Last time I went to Maui everyone was great, no problems, I just hated how crowded the roads were in West Maui and was happy to get back to the Big Island.

48. Re: Does Maui have a "dirty" little secret?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:23 am, August 14, 2009